• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

70-200mm 2.8 night game question

Kellie Harriss

Hi all

last weekend I hired the Canon 40D and the above lens with 2x teleconverter to "trial before I buy". We had three football trials so thought this would be ideal timing.

I had a few problems with the night game - which was also the first trial game so I wasn't used to the camera (currently been using the 300d.) All the night shots had heaps of motion blur unless they were shot at a closer distance.

The shots taken the following day were great and I started to get the hang of it and the ones that came out crystal clear made me sooo excited - and when I get a chance will post some so that I can get some feedback probably next week.

I guess my question is....should the lens be okay for shooting in this light and it is my lack of experience with finding the camera settings? Or I am expecting too much from the lens for the night game? Oh.... I also ended up taking off the teleconverter for the night game.

Thank guys

Kellie

Nill Toulme

Welcome Kellie. First I recommend you read the Sports Basics thread. That will give you a good start on most of what you're asking about.

Beyond that, I have to say I don't like using the teleconverters on zoom lenses in general and on the 70-200 in particular. I consider the 1.4x very marginal on that lens, and the 2x pretty much unusable.

And that's strictly with respect to AF performance and image quality under reasonably good conditions. Night sports — at least at typical youth venues as opposed to pro or good college stadiums — involves lighting levels that require an f/2.8 lens. When you pop the 2x converter on that lens, it becomes an f/5.6, and you're just plain outa gas.

200mm on the 1.6x crop factor 40D is enough reach for some decent football action on the near side if you wait for it to come to you and more or less fill the frame. You can't expect to shoot the other side of the field with it though.

Shooting night sports is simply tough. At most youth venues you're pushing the envelope of what even the very best equipment will do... and the equipment you hired is only very very good. ;-)

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Kellie Harriss

Thanks Nil

Sports basics is a great read and side by side with some of my shots will be good for analysing my own photo's.

I will take on board your suggestions when I purchase and practice, practice, practice!!

I had so much fun with the new lens and can't wait to be able to use it everyday to see the improvement in what I am shooting. I loved it so much I'm giving up smoking this weekend after 20 years and putting the money towards my camera equipment!!! Amazing how addictive photography is!!

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Cheers

Kellie

Barry Johnston

Congrats Kellie...

Hi Kellie, my congrats for giving up the smoking habit... it can never be too soon, and I hope that you have the will power to give it away forever. Good Luck !!

Regards,
Barry.

Kellie Harriss

Thanks Barry

......... support is always welcome!! We have 30 giving up through work so don't ring the office over the next few weeks everyone will be grumpy!! :)

Barry Johnston

My guess is...

Hi Kellie, well my guess is that around 90% of the 30 will be back on the smoke by the weekend !! what do you reckon ?..... and I definitely won't be phoning the office... :)

Barry