• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Roman Coliseum

Rachel Foster

A few months back I posted about an upcoming trip to Italy. We're back and the photos are "in the can," so to speak. This post is not the typical post. While suggestions for improvement are always welcome, I'm really quite pleased with this one. I realize many people won't care for this, and that's ok. It fulfills my "arc of intent." So, I suppose my post is really for the purpose of sharing a photo that I am proud of, that pleases me (but could always be better!). It was taken in the Roman Coliseum.

Standing on that ground, I was overwhelmed with the knowledge of what had happened there; of the incomprehensible barbarity and misery. I wanted to somehow show the horror I felt. This photo represents what I imagine a victim might have "seen." I call it "Coliseum Screams."

Thank you for looking.

2335945589_49d0d49b8f.jpg

Taken March 1, 2008 at 1115 am; Canon Rebel XTi; f/5.6, 400, 1/2 second, 75 mm.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rachel,

Welcome back Rachel I love visiting the Coliseum! I learn more each time and try to listen to the guides who are excellent historians. I wish I could have seen it before tthey stole the marble for St Peters and the male statues too.

Clothed in white marbel, the place must have been magnificent for the crowd as it was terrible for the "contestants".

Have no fear, I have no issue with this but I would lile to see a full size print as this is surrealistic and I feel I'd enjoy it. At this size, I find we do not do justice to something that means somuch to you.

How did you get to do this? Tell us how this was constructed?

Could you switch the image to one that's say 700-800 pixels wide as this thread has to be about your own ideas and the image and we must put effort there.

Asher

Rachel Foster

I'm delighted to do so, Asher. I've switched to Flickr for photo hosting and they have preset sizes easily gotten. This one is roughly 700 x 1000.

2335945589_49d0d49b8f_b.jpg

I was inside the Coliseum in one of the corridors looking toward the exits (escape beckons, I thought). The day was overcast and rainy, so I put the shutter speed quite slow and moved the camera upward while the shutter was open.

Thank you for commenting. I found it cathartic to express the strong emotion evoked in a nonverbal way. One of my children is actually in the photo, so symbolically it also represents the evolution of kindness through the ages, a growth of gentler cultural standards.

Cem_Usakligil

...I wanted to somehow show the horror I felt. This photo represents what I imagine a victim might have "seen." I call it "Coliseum Screams."
Hi Rachel,

As far as I am concerned, you've achieved your stated objective with "flying colors" (pun intended). :)
Excellent work, thanks for showing.

Cheers,

Cem