• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Iris 'George'

janet Smith

pro member
IMG_0084sssA.jpg

5D 100mm macro lens 1/250 f2.8 ISO 500 hand held

These tiny dwarf Iris are just about finished in my garden now, so I got a couple more shots of them yesterday just before it snowed heavily. I'm pleased with this one, but comments from my family have been very varied, what do you think?

Cem_Usakligil

5D 100mm macro lens 1/250 f2.8 ISO 500 hand held

These tiny dwarf Iris are just about finished in my garden now, so I got a couple more shots of them yesterday just before it snowed heavily. I'm pleased with this one, but comments from my family have been very varied, what do you think?
Well, since you asked; I think you should never ask your family/friends (LOL).

I, too, find the picture pleasing but that's more or less all I can say about it. Especially the composition does not work for me. Maybe cropping differently would help improve things. Also the lighting could have been improved if you can choose the time of the day or use some makeshift reflectors to lighten the lower petal a bit more.

Sorry Jan for being brutally honest about it but I am sure you'll understand :).

Cheers,

Cem

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Cem

Thank you for your honesty, it is exactly this sort of response that I want, if there is a problem I like to know.

I did grab this shot quickly yesterday for a variety of reasons, looks like I should have spent more time, don't apologise for your opinion Cem I appreciate all comments, they help to steer me.....

StuartRae

Hi Jan,

I suspect that Cem is right about the composition and lighting, but what I like about this, and some of your other shots, is the way that the flower reaches out of the screen towards you. I don't know if this is deliberate, but it works for me.

Regards,

Stuart

janet Smith

pro member
what I like about this, and some of your other shots, is the way that the flower reaches out of the screen towards you. I don't know if this is deliberate, but it works for me

Hi Stuart

Yes - it's very deliberate, and thank you for noticing!! It's a style that I am getting into more and more, I love my macro lens, it lives on my camera most of the time, except when I'm in Scotland. I find it really difficult to evaluate my own work, is that just me, does anyone else struggle with this? I really like this shot, but I think my judgement is probably clouded by the fact that I love these little flowers...

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jan,

I feel very uneasy about my C&C I have given you on this earlier today, especially after reading the post by Stuart. In your original post, you did not give me the impression as if the picture was something special with an artistic intention behind it. Had I known that, I would have definitely thought twice before replying in the quick and dirty way I did, my apologies for that.

Cheers,

Cem

I have enjoyed all of your macro work and this one is no exception. They always make me want to put my macro lens on and shoot. I think in this particular one, like Cem, I would like to see a bit more light and subsequent detail in that lower petal. It does seem to pop right out of my screen this way and the color is lovely. Can you tell me what "George" refers to?
James

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Jan, I feel very uneasy about my C&C I have given you on this earlier today, especially after reading the post by Stuart. In your original post, you did not give me the impression as if the picture was something special with an artistic intention behind it. Had I known that, I would have definitely thought twice before replying in the quick and dirty way I did, my apologies for that

Hi Cem

Please don't feel uneasy, and absolutely nothing to apologise about, your opinion matters to me, good or bad, sometimes I look at photographs that other people have enjoyed and just can't see what they see in it, it's all a matter of taste isn't it.

This particular shot was grabbed very quickly (stood on one foot!! LOL, LOL) much to the amusement of my husband!!!! Maybe it could be a new challenge "see what you can get stood on one foot with a macro lens" (sorry, I'm in a silly mood this morning) LOL (again!)

Thank you for responding and for the points you made, not dirty at all!!!! Please don't hesitate to give your honest opinion to me again, as I say, I value it.....

janet Smith

pro member
It does seem to pop right out of my screen this way and the color is lovely. Can you tell me what "George" refers to?

Hi James

Thank you for your comments, I'm so glad it makes you want to get your macro lens out and shoot, that delights me!! Seems to be one of those shots that works for some and not for others, the proof of the pudding will be - will it sell? We'll see....

'George' is the name of the flower - Iris George, don't know why, they often seem to be given names like this, I have another one called Iris Harmony. Thanks for your comments James, hope you're having a nice easter break.

Charlotte Thompson

Hi Jan

just happened to see your name here and was interested in what your photography is about
my personal opinion is this is extremely beautiful
the way the flower just holds itself out to you feels right and inviting
as is the shot
the colors are exceptional
I adore iris as well*
This would be beautiful blown up and hung any where in a home
my best to you*

Charlotte

janet Smith

pro member
the way the flower just holds itself out to you feels right and inviting

Hi Charlotte

Glad you like it, I have a bit of a thing about tiny flowers, I particularly love wildflowers so the coming months for me are going to be busy and very pleasurable, goes hand in hand with my other love, landscape photography.

Here is one from today, not the best shot, it was a bit windy, I'll get them again though in the next few days though.

I've not grown these before, they're "Snowbells" (Soldanella carpatica) less than 1cm across and very delicate, I think they're beautiful, so I'll try and get a better shot soon, thank you for your comments.

37ss.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jan,

This is, IMO, a better picture than the first one. It will be even better once you reshoot it later.
I find the lavender blurry patch in the lower left area distracting. Can you shift your shooting position in order to avoid it? Such as this?

37sse.jpg

Thanks for sharing :).

Cheers,

Cem

Charlotte Thompson

amazingly gorgeous
the softness is beyond beautiful*
I also love wild flowers-very much-I used to dance in fields of them when I lived on my horse ranch
I want my ashes to be inside them most defintely**

janet Smith

pro member
I find the lavender blurry patch in the lower left area distracting

Hi Cem & Charlotte

Thanks for your comments, Yes Cem I agree with you, that's partly why I'm not entirely happy with it, I was very limited in my shooting position, the others I took were too affected by the wind so I'll have to wait for a still day, windy again this morning!

janet Smith

pro member
Cem! Just noticed your edit, in a mad rush this morning sorry I didn't notice it before, what a big improvements you made thank you for your time doing this, I was just going to reshoot. You're a star!

Cem_Usakligil

Cem! Just noticed your edit, in a mad rush this morning sorry I didn't notice it before, what a big improvements you made thank you for your time doing this, I was just going to reshoot. You're a star!

Hi Jan,

It was a "quick and dirty" edit. If you want it done properly, send me the original and I'll do it again and send it back to you by mail :)

PS: My email is in your PM box.

Cheers,

Cem