• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Still Life: Late Afternoon Break

Rachel Foster

Still life, shared credit with Steven Lifson. I "designed" the shot and lent a hand...literally!...while he took the actual photo.

We're interested in feedback as to what's right as well as what's wrong. Shot by afternoon sunlight through the window, I was trying to capitalize on the illumination of edges: edges of my hand, and of the glass. I like the dust on the table, though many could find it distracting. Likewise, the blinds in the background could be distracting, although I like the complexity it adds. I also like the tilt. The sun spots are simply unfortunate, I think.

Since my husband did the shooting, it was in P mode and auto focus, Rebel XTi (55-250 zoom lens, IS).

2394949074_b56258e556_b.jpg

Rachel Foster

Ok, after some thought and discussion with more learned eyes, I've concluded the following: The focus is in the wrong place. It should be precisely where the hand and glass connect. A different dof, one that throws the bg into a soft, unobtrusive blur would heighten the impact. So, opening the aperture would help. That will require a faster shutter speed, so there must be a careful attention to the lighting. As it is, it's a wee bit blown on the top of the hand. I want it luminescent, not "A-Bomb" lighting.

I like the tilt, although that can be bothersome to some. I like upsetting the brain's complacency with the unexpected at times. The effectiveness of that is up for debate.

Anyone?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Rachel.

Ok, after some thought and discussion with more learned eyes, I've concluded the following: The focus is in the wrong place. It should be precisely where the hand and glass connect. A different dof, one that throws the bg into a soft, unobtrusive blur would heighten the impact. So, opening the aperture would help. That will require a faster shutter speed, so there must be a careful attention to the lighting. As it is, it's a wee bit blown on the top of the hand. I want it luminescent, not "A-Bomb" lighting.[/qote]

All well said. The highlights on the glass are a bit too hot for me as well.

I like the tilt, although that can be bothersome to some.

I like it. (I might have like a little less better.)

Charlotte Thompson

Rachel

for me the picture is The Glass on the Table
without the hand-it doesn't seem to go together
the shot and light are powerful enough
and the dust adds a human interesting quality-
it is The Dark Silver Chalice-
no I am nooooo expert for sure
but my thoughts
I adore the dark goth quality it brings forth**

Charlotte

Rachel Foster

Ah, I'm caught in a dilmma, perhaps one wrapped in an enigma..or perhaps just a lack of skill with the Reb.

Here is my attempt at reshoot correcting for the blown highlights.

2396258387_8d80885ced.jpg

It lacks that which drew me to the original. I'm going to have to puzzle on how to keep what I like about the original and yet correct the deficiencies.

The struggle continues.

Charlotte Thompson

the other is a beautiful shot as well-did you dust that table girl?
still there is something about the light in the first that holds me to it-
maybe it is the explosive effect
and ethereal as well-

C-

Rachel Foster

No, the dust remains undisturbed. It's all in the lighting. I don't know how to keep the elements such as the table and the glass and tone down my hand. Maybe I need darker skin taht's less reflective. I'm unsure where to go from here.

Charlotte Thompson

I am no expert but could you in the last one maybe slightly-but slight turn on the dark in the glass but ever so sublte to match the hand
dunno just a suggestion-
ot in some way allow more light throuigh the blinds- if you can-hmm scratches her head too*