• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Into the Maze

Peter Stacey

Not totally happy with this, so I'm going back to shoot again, but C&C on this abstract architecture shot is most welcome:

20080407_Maze1.jpg

Regards,

Peter

Joe Russo

Peter -

This is an interesting composition with an equally interesting title.

I like the complimentary colors of the walls and the vertical banding of the colors. I also like the repetition of the brick pattern and the fact that it is broken in the one place (upper portion of the back wall) with vertical bricks.

I think that the back part of the floor - just beyond the entrance formed by the two blue walls - is a little too hot and as such draws too much of my eye down there. I can't tell if this is an interior or exterior location but if the walls could cast shadows across the floor essentially making alternating areas of light and dark I think it would help to give some extra depth to the image.

Just my $0.02

Peter Stacey

Thanks for the feedback Joe.

I agree with you about the floor and the shallow feel to the image because of the lack of well defined shadows.

I often find that it takes me multiple visits to a location to get the shot I have pictured in my mind and this initial image is not what the final image will look like. This was taken about an hour before sunset, but I think if I take the shot in the hour after sunrise the light will be coming from a much better direction (that's my plan for this Saturday morning).

Glad that you like the composition. That was something I was hoping that there would be a comment on.

My own feeling it that there is something missing, that perhaps I should add another element for additional interest in what is a fairly simple image (not simple as in weak image, but simple as in you instantly get it and move on). If I add something, or partially add something, then I might be able to strenghten the image.

Coming from a forensic background, I was thinking for example of lying down on the ground and just having one forearm and hand along with a foot appear from the left side of the frame like there is a body there that you can only partly see. It would totally change the feel of the composition, but might make for an interesting alternative, especially if I also drop a knife down in the lower right part of the frame. Then I could position the camera at a higher spot and shoot down a little more, removing some of the top of the image which is very same-same to me.

So I guess I see this as a good location for an image, but this first example is not a good image.

Anyway, I plan on going back to this spot several times, so I think I'll keep this thread going as the image progresses. As it progresses it may no longer really be an architecture image, because the subject may change significantly, so I may ask Asher to move the thread at some point.

Regards,

Peter

Michael Fontana

pro member
Well observed, Peter!

did you intent - apart from the nice colors and homogenity of the material, bricks only - to show the huge walls, making the human small, so nobody can escape?

If we' re talking about the space one walks within the maze, I think this quick and dirt-edit is more interesting, by reducing the importance (diagonal) of the left wall's ground, and emphasing the space in the maze. The way ground and walls are balanced is very important within architecture photography.
@ Peter Stacey:

Peters.jpg

>My own feeling it that there is something missing, that perhaps I should add another element for additional interest in what is a fairly simple image (not simple as in weak image, but simple as in you instantly get it and move on). If I add something, or partially add something, then I might be able to strenghten the image.<

I don't think so. Get the space well done, and you're fine!
I like it, as the cam's position/the lens choice intends a concentrate, straight and °simple° look - in the good sense of simple. As we all know, it's more difficult to speak it in a reduced, more pure (??) manner, than by adding 1000 words.

Peter Stacey

Got back this afternoon and shot a different composition that is better to my eye. Now just have to work on the light.

20080409_VWS-47.jpg

Regards,

Peter

Joe Russo

Peter,

Looks like you are moving in the right direction here. The reduced highlights on the floor and better defined shadows on both the floor and back wall give much more depth to the image. What was somewhat flat previously now has the feeling of being able to walk into the space. It feels much more like a maze now.

Peter,

I think you found the missing element with this second version; shadows. This is quite elegant in its simplicity. Nicely done.

Tom

Hi,

I agree with precedent comments : second proposal is really better, due to its more present shadows and this light which comes toward us.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Peter,

We have forgotten the origins of photography in the Camera Obscura, use to create a projected image on ground glass to overlay with transparent paper and draw with a pencil!

Then B&W photography took over and we have a century of genius in making images with shapes, tonalities, textures, shadow to the extent that people seemd realy and still life had great power and landscapes were spell-binding. This image you have is a geometirc 3 D imaginary game which is already burnt into our shared cultural experience with images from Escher and the like.

So convert the second one into variations in B&W and you will be spellbound as to how talented you really are! This is what photography is about. You do not need color here. Of course you are the master of your own work but, just to humor us, explore this tried and true imaging presentation of such forms.

Asher