• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"Ancient Landscapes" in macro - Series

Michael Brown

The following image is just one in a series that I have been working on, and was asked by a art consultant in Colorado to produce more of this type for a client of hers.

This image is of a "Brazil Agate". It is a rock that was cut/sliced and polished to about 1/4" in thickness.
I am actively seeking out certain rocks and minerals that has designs within them which gives the look of a ancient landscape.

"Brazil Agate"​
Ancient Landscapes - Series​
7145634-lg.jpg

This was photographed outdoors and using some back lighting from a electrical source, some plexiglass mounted on top of the backlight with the cut slab of agate sitting on top and allowing light to come through the more transparent areas, 4 reflectors on each side, and a folded white sheet above the camera to cut down on some of the sunlight. It was a slight overcast day.
I have tried various methods of lighting, and have found that I prefer to use as much natural light as possible. But, there are some rocks which absolutely require that you use artificial lighting.
Then, using a Gitzo Explorer 2220, RRS ballhead, Canon camera with a Canon 100mm lens and extension tube, .... I start to create!
1/125 sec. @ f9
ISO 100

You can see more from this series within my journal if you like. Just click the link at the bottom.

Everyone take care, ... and thanks for looking!
Michael