• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why Don't you Show the World it's Your Photograph?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Let me chastise all of you who post images anywhere without embedding your name, contact to license the image and at least your ©!

You must protect your wonderful pictures from being "orphaned. So if these appear in some other place then the next person who takes them to sell for a Nestlé tea label, will not be able to claim this image is free for anyone to take!

Why do people not protect their images? Is it too much bother? You don't think your pics are worth stealing or what?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Adding your own information is so easy using the IPTC capability of your Photoshop, iviewMedia Pro, lightroom, Adobe Camera Raw Aperture, PhotoMechanic or other favorite software. Some even make this an automatic feature.

I happen to use iviewmedia Pro at the time of sorting, deleting and cataloging my new images. If you do add IPTC information on the picture, what's your way of doing so?

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Well, MediaPro has the tendency to lose EXIF and IPTC data upon conversion [this is, partly, remedied by Expression Media v2].

Whatever, while I use EXIF and IPTC to show my contact details and copyright* I do not care much if this info gets lost. First of all I can always prove I have the original, or I can take a similar but better [in the broadest sense of the word] one later. People grabbing my images from fori or on-line galleries deserve no better.

We should worry less and live more - at least when it comes to petty issues.

PS: I haven't delved myself too deep into Lawrence Lessig's take on copyright but what I've read already makes a lot of sense - partly because my own stand was very close to his before I knew his work. His seminal work can be downloaded from the Net and read without paying for it [in general, exceptions might apply].

*Let me add that most discussions on copyright are so burdened by inaccuracies and dis-knowledge [that is active ignorance] that they make it easier for corporations - and only these cases are of real interest - to disown artists and thinkers.

Ray West

Hi Dierk,

After a struggle, I managed to find the link to the 'free culture' download. Funny how some sites hide away what you are looking for. Anyway, I've a feeling that I will never read it, but may grasp the principle, if there was a simple explanation (its downloading at the mo, so there may be a summary.)

I think myself, that patent law, etc. is now holding back development - I've never patented anything - I find it best to run fast. and making a patent pending, really defeats the object.

Plus, I can not see any justification for a copyright on a photograph, of a building, say, when the owner of said building, etc. gets nothing.

Maybe we start another thread??

Best wishes,

Ray