• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Yellowstone Opens on Friday

Steve Robinson

I'm headed to West Yellowstone on Thursday for the opening of the summer season. The FCST is for good WX so I'm hopeful of getting some good spring (?) images. The snow around Old Faithful has decreased by quite a bit during the last couple of weeks so getting around shouldn't be a problem. I'll try to post a couple on Sunday or Monday.

Steve Robinson

Ah, too bad. SW MT and YNP are really nice in May. The day temps are just right and there are a lot fewer snow showers to dodge around. I plan to go at least once a month until the end of the season this year.

Steve Robinson

Jorgen,

The weather in July is usually pretty benign although there will likely be afternoon thunderstorms which make for great scenic landscapes. Bring clothing for three seasons because you never know what you'll run into. You'll want a good wide angle for landscapes and a good telephoto for animals. Very early or late in the day is best for animals as they tend to move away from the major touristy areas and sleep during the day. You'll be able to avoid the worst of the other tourists and the traffic then also. The traffic often just completely stops in the middle of the roads so folks can gander at the bison and elk. Have a great trip.

Jörgen Nyberg

Thx Steve

Some warm clothes and a Goretex- jacket it is.
And get in early, take a long lunch, and continue in the afternoon.
Looking forward to it :)