• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A Derwentwater panorama

StuartRae

Taken during a 'bright spell' on my trip to the Lakes last week.

Eight shots, each with 3 conversions in RSP, HDR and tone-mapping in Photomatix Pro, pano assembled with PTGui.

Canon 350D, Ef-S 17-85 @ 56mm, ISO 200, ~1/320 sec.

Click on the image for a larger version.

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited:

Ray West

Hi Stuart,

I think I'll have to get my printer fired up, and get a roll of galerie. I do not think the screen does it justice.

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Stuart,

This is magnificent. I love the fact that the clouds are rich, the water is well-rendered and has a silver surface. You did not go nuts by overdoing the saturation of the green vegetation which I see most often, the "hyper-velvia" look! I think you might look at the play of light on the hillsides and see what variations due to shadows of clouds you might be able top harness or at least to play with.

I would be most interested in seeing the stitch with all the irregular pieces and before a crop. You might find it very powerful to make a slightly larger rectangle and fill the extra space with black or else white. Anyway, it will be intriguing to see what it looks like, since we see in sections as we sweep around and meanwhile we might move our head up and down.

This is exceptional. There is no element that I would really want to see more of except the wood structure to the right. That's interesting.

In art, one should not be limited to straight lines. If odd shapes show the picture better, try it out, you might be very surprised.

The main thing is that this scene should not be imprisoned in a frame with ornate borders. It would, in my personal taste only, be great with a linen wide matt in an off white tope. The frame needs to be simple so as not to overwhelm this delicate scene.

Tell us how large you will print it!

When you tone mapped in Photomatix Pro, was that from 3 different outputs from a RAW program? Anyway, I like the discipline or luck that it ended up looking so natural. Often, HDR gets to look like some computer generated scene. Here, by your skill, or chance, you have retained the modest drawing of the trees and it's appealing!

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Stuart

nice view and pano - can we see a 100%-crop?

I switched from Photomatix to enfuse, as I think it looks more natural, that way.
Contrary to Asher, I think I can smell Photomatix in your linked version.

I redid - with enfuse - some autumn 07 panos for uprez and print in the lab and like it better.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Stuart
I do like your pano, nice light, nice colors all already said above…

However I have a "small" problem with the color of the "blue" sky, on top of the island (center left of image) it doesn't look "natural or same as the othe blue part of sky… is this an isue or was it like that?

As Michael I would be very glad to see a 100% crop…

Thanks for posting and sharing, and … kudos!

StuartRae

Hi Ray,

I think I'll have to get my printer fired up, and get a roll of galerie. I do not think the screen does it justice.

Thanks. I know that you don't comment too often, so I'll take that as a complement. We spoke earlier abour printing, so I'll let you know when I've got a full size version.

Hi Asher,

You did not go nuts by overdoing the saturation of the green vegetation which I see most often......

It would have been easy to do that, but it was an overcast day without too much colour in anything, so i stuck to realism.

I would be most interested in seeing the stitch with all the irregular pieces and before a crop.

Here it is. There's not too much empty real estate as I straightened the individual frames before stitching.

pano-9-uncropped.jpg

Tell us how large you will print it!

The full size image is 12917px x 2378px, so at 360ppi I could get a 36" x 7" print.

When you tone mapped in Photomatix Pro, was that from 3 different outputs from a RAW program?

Yes, as I said it was three conversions using RSP.

Hii Michael,

can we see a 100%-crop?

Here's the boat house on the island. don't look for too much detail - it was a nasty, grey day with a spit of rain in the air.

pano-9-100pct.jpg

I switched from Photomatix to enfuse, as I think it looks more natural, that way.
Contrary to Asher, I think I can smell Photomatix in your linked version.

I'll have to give Enfuse a go. Quite a strong aroma of Photomatix IMO :)

Regards to all,

Stuart

StuartRae

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for commenting.

However I have a "small" problem with the color of the "blue" sky, on top of the island (center left of image) it doesn't look "natural or same as the othe blue part of sky… is this an issue or was it like that?

I think this is an issue with Photomatix. I've noticed in other conversions that patches of isolated colour aren't rendered correctly. In fact, IIRC, this has been raised on other fora.

As i said to Michael, the 100% crop may not look too good, as the atmospheric conditions were poor. Still, I think it would look OK as a large print viewed at a distance.

Regards,

Stuart

Michael Fontana

pro member
Stuart

I experienced too, that in poor atmosphere/light conditions, Photomatix is seducing to overreact, meanwhile lowering the local contrast on the other end of the tonality..

So here's my workflow with enfuse:

From the middle exposition, the images - out of the converter - are stitched, by creating a stitch-template, which is applied on the other bracket shots as well.

Then the stitched panos are enfused; it 'll give a well balanced master, with a averaged contrast.
Sometimes, applying a curve in PS enhances a bit the local contrast; sometimes I apply one of the bracket panos as a layermask.

This workflow has the advantage of controlling the entire pano, meanwhile when enfusing the bracket tiffs it's hard to guess the proper settings for the other shots.
When the light conditions are changing fast, that workflow helps a lot, too.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Stuart,

Glad to see this earlier un-cropped form!

Here it is. There's not too much empty real estate as I straightened the individual frames before stitching.

pano-9-uncropped.jpg

Already there's a major improvement to my eye. You have brought the interest to the foreground "water-yness" of you panorama and the skies are de-emphasized. This transforms the image to a more impressive level because we go from the water to scan that area and gradually explore the more distal landscape.

I'd really try the image assembly again throwing away much less.

As it is, I like the un-cropped version so much better that I would repair the missing portions by cloning very carefully, following the pattern of the angular water reflections and extending slightly the wooden form on the right.

Asher

Michael Fontana

pro member
Hi Stuart,

........The main thing is that this scene should not be imprisoned in a frame with ornate borders. It would, in my personal taste only, be great with a linen wide matt in an off white tope. The frame needs to be simple so as not to overwhelm this delicate scene. Asher

another suggestion: to mount the pano just on a 1 mm thin Aluminium-plate and stick it with smail nails at the wall. I quite like that, it becomes sort of a window.

Next week, 7 archi-shots, including panos, till 170 cm in size, will be printed and mount on aluminium. I might tell more.

StuartRae

Hi Asher,

Already there's a major improvement to my eye. You have brought the interest to the foreground "water-yness" of you panorama and the skies are de-emphasized. This transforms the image to a more impressive level because we go from the water to scan that area and gradually explore the more distal landscape.

Yes, I see what you mean. Thanks for all the help and interest.

Hi Michael,

So here's my workflow with enfuse:

Thanks for the advice. I can see several advantages to blending stitched panoramas rather than stitching blended images.
I've had a very quick look at enfuse using the JB software EnfuseGUI. It looks promising, but I need to spend some time getting to grips with the settings.

Thanks also for the mounting idea.

Regards,

Stuart