• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Filmback orientation Hy6

Theodore Diehl

Hello all,
I hope either Nicolas or Thierry will read this and be able to answer my question!
(And by the by the way, many thanks to Nicholas Claris for all the great reporting on the Hy6 here, it is a pleasure to see his work !)

I am picking up a Hy6 (Rolleiflex flavor, no different from the Sinar but a better package deal price for complete unit and AFD lens) and will be shooting film (again!) for the first month or so, partially for fun and partially because I still love working film, until I get the eMotion back later this year.

However, the camera is so new that the dealer can't answer me on one point:
The film back 4560 is touted as being switchable, just like the digital back (however not rotatable like the digital back), for vertical and horizontal usage. Yet the dealer says this is not possible...I also cannot find any info on this point in the user's instructions.

I don't have the camera in hand yet, so I can't check this out, and I need to use it the day I pick it up.
Any advice?
P.S.: In addition, I also don't see any viewfinder masks on offer for these two formats yet, but assume they are in the make?
Thanks,
Theodore

Theodore Diehl

Hi Nicholas,
Yes can't wait to get the camera in my hands!
The 'switchable' ability IS mentioned on the Sinar website and German Sinar internet shop, but it is not mentioned in the instructions anywhere. Since it seems to be merely a question of contact points on the adapter, I expect it is just an oversight in the manual?
Cheers,
Theodore

Dear Theodore,

Yes, the film magazine is rotatable, of course. However, it needs the adapter for this 6008 Rolleiflex 645 film magazine to be able to attach it to the Hy6.
This adapter, is in my opinion not yet available and released. YOu would have to check with F&H and their dealer, if they have sold you a magazine without adapter, or without the adapter being ready. I can't answer more than this currently.

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Nicholas,
Yes can't wait to get the camera in my hands!
The 'switchable' ability IS mentioned on the Sinar website and German Sinar internet shop, but it is not mentioned in the instructions anywhere. Since it seems to be merely a question of contact points on the adapter, I expect it is just an oversight in the manual?
Cheers,
Theodore

Theodore Diehl

Hi Thierry,
I am still a bit confused...
Do you mean that another adapter is used to shift the filmback between vertical/horizontal?
The camera I get already has the adapter and film back 4560.
The link I saw was here:
https://shop.strato.de/epages/15493234.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15493234/Products/711.64.010

If I understand you correctly, then you actually mean I will need this rather large and clunky adapter shown there from the 6008 series in addition to the regular Hy6 film adapter in order to change orientation?

Probably easier to wait for the 6x6 back and crop accordingly after the fact ;-)
Thanks,
Theodore

P.S. Whilst on the subject of backs: for the eMotion back, do you need the regular digital adapter AND the rotating adapter together, or is the rotating adapter for the eMotion complete in this respect?

No, Theodore, what I am saying is that it needs an adapter to make it possible to fix/mount the 645 film magazine to the Hy6 at all. The same way it needs an adapter for a digital back.

The 645 film magazine is the magazine for the Rolleiflex 6008 and thus cannot be mounted as such directly on the Hy6. This adapter is absolutely needed.

After that, you can of course take away and turn the back from vertical to horizontal or vice-versa.

Is that clear Theodore? Ask if not.

best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,
I am still a bit confused...
Do you mean that another adapter is used to shift the filmback between vertical/horizontal?
The camera I get already has the adapter and film back 4560.
The link I saw was here:
https://shop.strato.de/epages/15493234.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15493234/Products/711.64.010

If I understand you correctly, then you actually mean I will need this rather large and clunky adapter shown there from the 6008 series in addition to the regular Hy6 film adapter in order to change orientation?

Probably easier to wait for the 6x6 back and crop accordingly after the fact ;-)
Thanks,
Theodore

P.S. Whilst on the subject of backs: for the eMotion back, do you need the regular digital adapter AND the rotating adapter together, or is the rotating adapter for the eMotion complete in this respect?

Sorry Theodore, I pressed the "Submit" button mistakenly before having finished to answer.

here it continuous:

- your link showing the 645 magazine with adapter:

I guess that this is the Rolleiflex 6008 adapter, certainly not the Sinar Hy6. Although I must say that I have NOT yet seen this adapter, since it is NOT available yet. If I am not mistaken, then the adapter to fit this 645 magazine on the Hy6 has the same shape and size as the magazine itself.

- your question about adapters for the eMotion backs:

NO; it does need ONLY 1 adapter, either the normal one, or then the revolving adapter.

Best regards,
Thierry

The link I saw was here:

Thanks,
Theodore

Last edited:

Theodore Diehl

Thanks Thierry, that's clear, the adapter I have already for the 4560 back will suffice then, great. It is just unusual that neither the SINAR nor Rolleiflex Hy6 instruction books mention the switchability of formats...

By the way, what about my P.S. : Do you need the regular digital adapter AND the rotating adapter together on the Hy6 body, or is the rotating adapter alone for the eMotion complete in this respect?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but the dealers are not up to speed on various things, the Hy6 it seems is just too new for them :)
Thanks for your patience,
Theodore

Theodore,

- I think you got me wrong: you NEED ANOTHER adapter, than the one you see in the link you have provided: the one is displayed there is for the adaption of the 645 magazine on the 6008, and it DOES NOT fit the Hy6,
This adapter is currently not available, at least not from Sinar yet and should be next week or so.
But it certainly DOES NOT need both together (the one big for 6008 and the one to adapt on the Hy6).

- I did answer your question about digital back adapters: read my second post. But here again my answer: NO; it does need ONLY 1 adapter, either the normal one, or then the revolving adapter, when you want to adapt a Sinarback eMotion or any other Sinarback.

- instruction book: it will certainly be completed and with all details as soon as this accessory (645 film magazine and the Hy6 adapter) are released to the market and available.

Thanks and best regards,
Thierry

Thanks Thierry, that's clear, the adapter I have already for the 4560 back will suffice then, great. It is just unusual that neither the SINAR nor Rolleiflex Hy6 instruction books mention the switchability of formats...

By the way, what about my P.S. : Do you need the regular digital adapter AND the rotating adapter together on the Hy6 body, or is the rotating adapter alone for the eMotion complete in this respect?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but the dealers are not up to speed on various things, the Hy6 it seems is just too new for them :)
Thanks for your patience,
Theodore

Theodore Diehl

Hi Thierry,
OK, OK... But I have understood you actually ;-)
The confusion is from the fact that the link is showing specific accessories/adapters for Hy6 cameras, however the 4560 back in that link is attached to an older Rollei 6008 frame- This is what I found so strange and incomprehensible! I thought there was a 2nd adapter somehow necessary for the shift.

The Rollei Hy6 version is already is being delivered with the 6450 back AND the (analogue) adapter we are both discussing here. So, like you say, I don't need two...

In actual fact, I was planning on buying the SINAR first, but the adapter was not going to be ready for pick up during my travel in USA. So I opted for the Rollei Hy6 (analogue) package because this adapter was already available in the set as it were.

Thanks for clearing this up,
Theodore