• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello

Mike Shimwell

Hi

I'm Mike and not sure how I found the forum, but having read through some of the threads thought that I'd register as I liked the discussion of work. It's nice to see a few familiar names as well!

I shoot a mixture of landscape and have recently started doing some more work including people. I'll through a few pictures up for comment and to share some work over the next few days.

Currently I'm working with a GX100 or (Canon) dslr. I've been making pictures for quite a few years (still have my old AE-1), but moving to digital reignited my enthusiasm for photography as I found that I could work without a darkroom (which I hadn't had for years due to moving, time, family etc...) and manage colour and black and white.

Hopefully I'll be able to learn and to contribute from time to time.

Thanks

Mike

Doug Kerr

Hi, Mike,

Hi

I'm Mike and not sure how I found the forum, but havin read through some of the threads thought that I'd register as I liked the discussion of work. It's nice to see a few familiar names as well!

Welcome aboard! We're looking forward to working with you.

Mike Shimwell

Thank you both for your welcome.

Doug,

you have some interesting articles on your website, which I look forward to reading over time.

Rachel,

I like the GX100. I bought it after trying a G9 and the Panasonic LX2, because I preferred the control interface. It provides an antidote to the slr in terms of how the images look (much more noisy) and I can fit it in my pocket. In terms of shutter lag it's actually quite good in manual or 'snap' focus mode and the autofocus is reasonable as well. The biggest difficulty is the time taken to record a raw file, but that's something you get used to and it's much faster in jpg mode.

Big plusses for me are the step zoom and the ability to use it with an optical viewfinder, deeep depth of field and a very different look.

I've attached a few pics processed in Lightrom below - hope it's not too much!

Mike

iso80, plus 1.4 exposure

2432951565_194fc88228_o.jpg

2432951609_198d71c5d5_o.jpg

iso 400 - mildly streched and sharpened

2432951165_93325c38b2_o.jpg

2433766002_aa8740e13a_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike,

An excellent start!

That grain is beautiful! I love the last image. I wonder if you could test your DSLR against this for the blown up artistic effect in the B&W using a shot like this so we can see the faces again at 100%.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher

Thanks for your kind words. I must admit that I was surprised at how even the grain was. It actually makes a nice print at about 15 by 10.

I don't have anything quite like this from the slrs, but here are a couple of my girls shot in low and poor light, together with 100% crops. One in colour to follow.

Just wanted to say that one of the reasons I signed up here was the sense that there is acommunity helping each other to progress. Thanks.

Mike

1600iso no luminance smoothing

2440158316_075cdd2d46_o.jpg

2439333211_d603a4439f_o.jpg

1600 iso pushed 0.6 no luminance smoothing

2440158560_796d1121c3_o.jpg

2440158436_0b253c8120_o.jpg

Mike Shimwell

And one in colour with a bit of luminance smoothing as well as a bit of colour nr. This is at iso1600 pushed 1.1 stops in post.

Mike

2440157500_a7d05b4796_o.jpg

2440188212_c6a92baf3b_o.jpg