• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

It's been a long day, let me sleep!

Jeff Slaughter

What do ya think?
I'm quite proud of it :D

Just got my first DSLR at the weekend.
Took this on Sunday night.

What do you think?
Any advice?

Original...
pennyorig.jpg

Final...
pennysmall.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Excellent start

Dogs are the most wonderful subject. They don't expect you to ask them to smile; They sit and stay (sometimes) and rarely have a bad hair day. I bet we see more of your little dog - a Pomeranian?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jeff,

Congrats on you new DSLR and your willingness to share your photographs. As Kathy says, your subject is wonderful. I like that the head is placed in the rough position of attention grabbing regions that are suggested by "the rule of thirds". Now if you look at your picture, you also have the colored toy in an opposite attention seeking location. I feel that is distracting. Another point, unless you have compelling reason to do otherwise, drop down to the level of the pets eyes or below.

One more point, if it fits in with your view of things, brush the wonderful coat!

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Part of the personality

In pet photography, often a toy in the frame says alot about the personality of the pet. While Daisy will pose - she's obedience trained, Gizmo, hides from the lens and without a toy around there probably would be no image.

Jeff Slaughter

Thanks for all your wonderful comments.
All stuff to bare in mind.
If I remember rightly I got as low as my tripod lets me, although I could always do it without I guess.
She is indeed a pomeranian. Hopefully you will be seeing more of her.
I guess I should have brushed her hair before taking it, I just came in from my fiance's set up the tripod and camera and shot away.