• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Carols Tree - 2nd attempt

I did not have time to proces the picture with the last polish, but it should be enough to give you an impression of where I want to go with it....

fb4b551030fbcd94489989370c255aab6g.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Bear,

Although I like the picture, I am a bit puzzled by the composition. I am not yet sure whether it works for me or not. The tree seems to be struggling to find the right place here.

Jörgen Nyberg

Try envisioning this in a sunset with a darker more red~ish sky and the tree on fire by the late sun.... something like that. ;)

I thought it was to early in the day for uisge baugh ;-))

But, I've gotta go with Cem, I'm a bit confused by the composition, liked your snap better.
I think it's too much foreground, I've would have cropped it just below the shade, and a smidge of the sky, to make it square.
Have you tried cropping it differently?

Well, it was my first attempt with a 14mm f4.0 lense, as usual, it requires time to be comfortable with a new lense. I have a few ideas for that ruin here, will try a few wireless remote flashguns here.

a2ca7bbc2ce323a3d222f3ff9f7f18346g.jpg

Ray West

Hi Georg,

So you've got your 5000 new lenses, then?

I think the problem wrt the composition, is partly because everything seems the same sharpness, there is no distance oof blur, so it then becomes just shapes, 2d, or not 3d, that is the question. Plus, I think the lens choice flattens it too. This shows more strikingly in your second ruined image. You really should have finished building that place by now. ;-)

Best wishes,

Ray

Hi George,

I really wanted to like this one but I am finding it hard. It almost seems as if the tree is animated as a monster peering out of the photo at me. Ordinarily, I would say this plicture has a lot of really good elements, the interesting stones, the clouds and sky, the perspective of the tree. But they seem to fight each other for supremecy.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I did not have time to proces the picture with the last polish, but it should be enough to give you an impression of where I want to go with it....

fb4b551030fbcd94489989370c255aab6g.jpg

Freud would have licensed this image and used it in all his courses! It's like symbolic 101! The picture is dynamic partly due to the clouds, the foreground rocks and the tree rendered in detail and dimensional enhanced curves as much as the focal length and perspective your distance from the tree and the small aperture.

As always, I like the colors you use. Your work has a unique look and I think one could almost search for your photographs looking for the color in the rocks, it comes up like your signature. This scene is not relaxing but it's impressive. I'd wish you had walked just a little to your left so that you might have captured more to the right of the tree. The perspective is dramatic but I'd like a square or horizontal format to calm things down.

Asher

Zuiko Digital

Thank you all for your impressions! In fact this is the first shot of many that I intend to use there, for training purposes, as I am working on a special portfolio that will be exhibited later this year on the Photokina in Germany.

As usual, I really appreciate all your impressions, very much so!

@Ray, yes in deed, a huge monster Peli case arrived just 3 days ago, filled with the finest lenses Olympus has on the market.

The length of the tree reaching into the sky, the little "legs" it stands on was what I wanted to bring out in deed, like Nathaniel said.

May be interesting to note, my attention was devided, my young dog was all over the place while I tried to shoot and tell him to stay where he was because it is dangerous to goof on those cliffs. Was balancing on a stone with the camera to be able to shoot a 5x bracket having an eye on my dog at the same time.

@Asher, the colors are something which fascinated and convinced me with Olympus from day one. The shot needs to be done again in different light, ideally late sun I think. The aperture I chose, not knowing the lense at all, assuming it to be sharp all the way in this setting of f/6.3 turned out to be just right.

I don't have as much detailed knowledge as Sean Reid undoubtedly has on gear, but I wonder whether he would agree with my judgement, as I think it is not wrong to say that the lense which I chose for a lot of my owrk now is one of the finest WA Zooms on the market since many years, and only recently got competition by a new Nikon super wide angle.

The Zuiko Digital, ZD 7-14mm f/4.0 comes at a price, but it is such a outstanding high quality lense, in my opinion it would make perfect sense to have a 4/3 camera only on purpose to be able to use this particular lense!

I onyl shot a day with it so far, and I am totally hooked on it!

Once you looked through a 100% viewfinder and experienced this lense, you probably never let go of it again if you have any interest in wide angle. :) Only since Olympus managed to update their camera to a more adaequate 10MP the potential of the 7-14mm comes into play, if memory serves, it is calculated for around 20MP max I think.

May be worth mentioning in this context, all the Zuikos were designed from the ground up to work with the 4/3 digital camera system that was also invented from the ground up not that long ago. A unique system, with strength and weaknesses, but certainly the only that was designed digitally from the ground up comprising both, body and lenses.

See, all the ZD lenses communicate with the body, and in fact, they can be updated with software, yes, you heard that right, it is true, the lenses can be updated with firmware! So, if I put a 90-250 onto the body, the cameras software communicates with the lense on startup and knows what lense is connected!

Besides, you know I am a big fan of that feature Asher, all the Pro and top Pro lenses are fully splashwaterproof, and Hell, they have to when they are with me as you know! ;)

...they have to prey it from my cold dead hand, this lense is here to stay with me!

Thanks!

P.S. ....a little to the left.... and I'd be gone.... LOL

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Georg

Well I like your tree, I can see where you're heading with this, I think it would be improved by a bit less foreground and concentrating more on the tree, perhaps using a slightly wider aperture, and getting very low down (perhaps laid) to help separate the tree from the rocks, I look forward to seeing more.....

I'm not too sure about the ruin, not sure what it is specifically I don't like, perhaps try it from another angle?