• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hummer how-to

Jaime Johnson

Here is a picture of my setup. You can also see that I cover some of the feeder spouts with duck tape (making them go to certain ones).

052108-Hummer-02.jpg

This is an image taken at the time the first picture was taken.

052108-Hummer-01.jpg

Image was taken using a 1d Mark III and a Canon 500mm f4 w/1.4x . / Canon 580 EXII flash

Program mode, F8 / ISO 400 / 1/60th - ETTL High Speed Sync Activated.

I'm still perfecting my settings, I should have written them down from last year..

J-

Charlotte Thompson

Jaime

I never knew these little creatures had such expression in their eyes
thank you for showing me how beautiful nature is even in the tiniest
a beautiful little thing indeed-

Charlotte

Jaime Johnson

Actually, not sure why it ended up there - I was goofing around with underexposure earlier and didn't change it -

I usually shoot them on manual mode f8 / 1/250th.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Actually, not sure why it ended up there - I was goofing around with underexposure earlier and didn't change it -

Sweet pictures Jamie and it was cool to show your system :) I would have thought 1/250 sec would be too slow so that shows you what I know.
Regards
Don

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jaime,

That sort of thing happens to me a lot!

My typical parameters with the 580EX II if no ambient exposure is involved.

Just as a comment since you noted that high speed sync was engaged on the 580EX II. I imagine you know that with a shutter speed slower than the X-sync limit, the high speed sync burst isn't used even if that mode is engaged.

Jaime Johnson

Thanks everyone -

Like I said earlier, it seem like have to reinvent the wheel each year. This year, when I finally get it perfected - I plan to document the settings somewhere Iwhere I won't lose them!

High speed sync is for shooting over 1/300 - duh... not sure what I ws thinking.. ; )

It has been really cold here (low 30's - this morning there was a small hummer dead on the feeder - must have been to cold... ; (

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting that you didn't need a Better Beamer enhancement for your flash. Do you find that the camouflage makes any difference?

I do love that lens.

Asher

Thanks for sharing, and sorry for my late involvement. Had my trip to Costa Rica (returned earlier this week), and didn't have much time while preparing for it, and little internet access during it. In any case...

Regarding your settings - aren't they all captured in the EXIF data in your original image files? That should save you having to reinvent the wheel each time.

The Better Beamer probably isn't necessary here, as your flash seems to be reaching without problem at the distances you're shooting.

One suggestion (to eliminate the crescent-shaped reflex in the eye indicating flash use), would be to get the flash further off axis through the use of the off-shoe flash cord and brackets of some sort (I use Wimberley stuff for this purpose).

Beautiful shot!