• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Night Panorama

Night shot from my home in San Diego. Seems a good subject masks a lot of errors.

NightSkyline900.jpg

Night shot from my home in San Diego. Seems a good subject masks a lot of errors.

But you missed one error with JPEG compression. JPEG compression does very poorly with smooth textures and here I would call the image overcompressed as I can see banding/posterization in the sky. Using less compression/higher quality should reduce or remove this effect.

a thought,

Sean

Michael Fontana

pro member
Howard

could you post a bigger size? Or a crop?
Your 2nd example looks better now; but still hard to judge.

Do you want to print it, or keep online, only?

Cem_Usakligil

Here's a link to a "full sized" jpg. (removed by Cem_Usakligil)
Hi Howard,

I do not recommend you link to a full sized version, especially when it does not contain your copyright information and/or a watermark. You can better have a crop of the sky (around 200x200 pixels). It is more than enough to show that the jpg comression is not present there.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks, but you bring up a good point. Which is the appropriate forum to discuss the issue of watermarks, copyrights, digimarks and the like?

I have seen the original prior to removing the URL to it and I can attest to it that there were no banding or posterization problems to be seen.

Thanks Cem. My real concern here was just w/ the web released image and to ensure Howard was aware that low frequency textures require less JPEG compression for faithful reproduction. Truth be told, it looked fine on my CRT, but had banding on the LCD (both calibrated) which means it is likely to show banding on most new computers (think cheap uncalibrated LCDs) which is important for web presentation.

enjoy,

Sean

Alain Briot

pro member
I made some color adjustments to the image. I like it better that way. The original was a little too blue among other things. Let me know what you think.

the original is first, followed by the one with my changes.

NightSkyline900-2.jpg

NightSkyline900-3.jpg