• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Young child...which is better?

Rachel Foster

This was taken in late afternoon light. The child was in the shade as the light was a bit too strong for her comfort.

It was taken with a telephoto, 250 mm, f5.6 at 4000. I was specifically going for a silhouette type effect, looking at the lighting on the curve of the face. This is not a typical type portrait, nor one that many favor, but I like the look.

My question: Which is better...the color or the black and white?

eliana1.jpg

eliana1bw.jpg

My question: Which is better...the color or the black and white?

Hi Rachel,

I like the color one much more. It has a lot of 'warmth' to it.

The cropping on the other hand, leaves 'room' (pun intended) for improvement. All that space above the head and at the left side distracts from the character I'd like to explore in a portrait.

Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Rachel,

I like the color one much more. It has a lot of 'warmth' to it.

The cropping on the other hand, leaves 'room' (pun intended) for improvement. All that space above the head and at the left side distracts from the character I'd like to explore in a portrait.

Bart
I agree with Bart fully. A crop like this would be better if you ask me, but it is just my opinion. YMMV.

eliana1-crop.jpg

Rachel Foster

Thanks, both.

I tend to like a lot of empty space. I tend to crop too much at other times. Seeing your crop is very helpful. Thanks!

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

Rachel

I am going to have to disagree-I adore the black and white- it has such an elegant look filled with a sort of mystery
like a movie about a young girl from aa background that is almost disturbing- good shot
the color also is very good but my choice is bandw-
beautiful art

Charlotte

Charlotte Thompson

Yes I do see-
but the BandW has such a strength to it
it begs you to look at it- find out what it says to you- for me I have just thought of it- Anne Frank-
reminds of The Diary of Anne Frank, the child herself- wow-

Charlotte

Last edited:

Charlotte Thompson

a thought- some works of art project feelings from other viewers in their life journey
I read the book when I was 12- your photo brought back not only the beauty and horror of her life but how it started to change mine in terms of emotional growth at such a young age- your photo the black and white is a very strong image

Charlotte