• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Switzerland - the Matterhorn

Luciano Sassi

Wonderful montains landscape in Matterhorn Swiss zone .....
Cervino-Matterhorn.jpg

The MATTERHORN
Matterhorn.jpg

There is in Sunnega paradise in a glacier near Zermatt
Matterhornwiththeparaglider.jpg

For to see the complete GALLERY ON MY BLOG >
http://superlucius.blogspot.com/

Charles Lupica

The first two are standard stock fare. Good photos, but amoung thousands of other photos from the same place with the same FOV.

The third image is different and as such, has much more interest.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The first two are standard stock fare. Good photos, but among thousands of other photos from the same place with the same FOV.

The third image is different and as such, has much more interest.

Lucoiano,

I immediately loved your pictures but held back writing anything. I went to your website searching for more unique angles but didn't find them. I looked again today, thinking that maybe I've missed a larger set from the same area. I cannot imagine you didn't get 50 to 500 pics there. I wanted a wider shot of the mountains to put the range in a context of lower landscape. That would have turned the scene from desirable and impressive to enthralling, demanding revisiting and contemplation. I would love to see the 3rd picture with the mountains darker and the para-glider brighter and sharper.

Charles,

I was surprised by your comments but glad you made them since we have a tendency to just voice appreciation of natural beauty. We also find it so easy to give good feedback as it is a pleasant social thing to do. So really you do a good service.

Taking pictures of beautiful things is always challenge. We keep raising the bar for what will make a picture dramatic and so special that we'd like to see it in a gallery.

Lucoiano,

I immediately loved your pictures but held back writing anything. I went to your website searching for more unique angles but didn't find them. I looked again today, thinking that maybe I've missed a larger set from the same area. I cannot imagine you didn't get 50 to 500 pics there. I wanted a wider shot of the mountains to put the range in a context of lower landscape. That would have turned the scene from desirable and impressive to enthralling, demanding revisiting and contemplation. I would love to see the 3rd picture with the mountains darker and the para-glider brighter and sharper.

Charles,

I was surprised by your comments but glad you made them since we have a tendency to just voice appreciation of natural beauty. We also find it so easy to give good feedback as it is a pleasant social thing to do. So really you do a good service.

Taking pictures of beautiful things is always challenge. We keep raising the bar for what will make a picture dramatic and so special that we'd like to see it in a gallery.

Lucoiano, Charles and Asher,

Both Charles and Asher are correct in their evaluation and critique. However, having visited this area many times I think I have an appreciation of just how hard it is to make a "different" photograph. On the one hand, one is struck by the beauty of the area, dramatic, imposing and in some sense, a bit sterile; while, on the other, it is very difficult to get out and in position for photography early or late enough to get the best light, as it may require hours on foot or on trains that do not run on photographer's time. Your photographs reflect your enthusiasm and emotional response as much as they are a record of what you saw. For that purpose they are excellent.

Don't be discouraged. When I see my Zermatt photos, I just say to my self, I have to go back and try again. Perhaps you can have that pleasure too.

-Nat

Michael Fontana

pro member
Beeing myself a alpi boy - whithout ever seen the Matterhorn, though :) - I find the Matterhorn difficult to shot.
Searching that name in google/images shows up about 180'000 entries.....

But I noticed too, that Luciano .....buongiorno et benvenuto qua al forum OPFe...
is from Parma, and might therefore have a different attitude toward this mountain..

These two aspects are reflected in the thread until now.

So for Luciano, his shots might have a special, personal meaning, while for swiss people - they saw already 1000's of these during their lives, and becoming a °supersign° - this gets more complex:

probably the Matterhorn is the most shot and °branded° mountain, it's image - beside appearing on well-known chocolats envelopes - has been used literally for anything... . there even was a exhibition a few years ago, about that branding, only, called. " What's the matter?"

So basically, for swiss citizens, images of Matterhorn have lost interest, and they will not look longer at one of these images, unless they show a really specific new image of the Matterhorn, like a QTVR-panorama of it.

I call it the fancy-trap. That said, to learn how to shoot mountains, a unfamous mountain is a easier subject; but maybe, that's not the intention of Luciano.

A te Luciano....

Luciano Sassi

took photos of the Matterhorn as any tourist, but with respect to this mythical mountain that dominates the Swiss and Italian sides, millions of photos were made but each has its own story each is unique.
Greetings and good day

Asher Kelman

Hi Luciano,

I have a feeling from using bold type and the "Greetings and Good Day" that perhaps we might have offended you? I hope not. Please understand that OPF is sincerely about the photography that we hope to put on walls, publish and get to clients. However we all find this difficult. So we discuss pictures openly and hopefully with both kindness and honesty.

I would love to have taken these pictures since they are beautiful. However, one still has to ask where is your fingerprint on the image. This is not any put down, insult or diminishing of the value of your picture for the purpose you now state: a tourist picture.

If this was from an unknown place in the Andes in South America then it would be even better. No one thinks anything bad of the photos.

We just assume that we all want to do better.

For what you had in mind this set of pictures works and succeeds.

I hope this clears the feelings so you are comfortable with us. After all, you are the only one who brought this beauty to us.

Asher

Ron Morse

Luciano,

I have never been there and very much enjoyed your nice photos.

I looked at your cruises and enjoyed them. They bring back memories.

I also take pictures as a tourist and as remembrance's. I could care less if they hang in a gallery or a toilet.

Michael Fontana

pro member
took photos of the Matterhorn as any tourist, but with respect to this mythical mountain that dominates the Swiss and Italian sides, millions of photos were made but each has its own story each is unique.
Greetings and good day

Buon giorno, Luciano
nessuno vuole rompere le tue p....

nobody denies a unique story behind it - though I'd like to see it in the shot itself, as the language of photography is the image.

A tourist shot isn't a tourist shot anymore, once it appears in a photography forum. It has changed context. The very same shot beeing on a art gallery or museum's wall would change context again.

Please understand that OPF is sincerely about the photography that we hope to put on walls, publish and get to clients.

I think there are many clients that would pay and put any of these three photos on thier walls. They might be clients who haven't seen it in person (and I myself have not), but to them and me these photographs are a vision of beauty and discovery of a place far off.

I think I prefer the second image b/c of the reflection in the water. I probably would make 1 adjustment and that would be to turn it into a portrait and adjust the crop accordingly.

I do prefer the sky in the first shot more than in the other two shots.

And I do adore the way the rocks frame the side of the last photo, almost like you're peeking to see everything else. It gives quite a bit of contrast. I think I'd like it without the guy and in a portrait style with the mountain as the main focus and those rocks framing the side.

Anyhow-I'm happy you shared these and you were fortunate to view this in person and photograph it!

Luciano Sassi

Thank you Heather this is " THINK POSITIVE "
Have a nice day.

Lucio

I think there are many clients that would pay and put any of these three photos on thier walls. They might be clients who haven't seen it in person (and I myself have not), but to them and me these photographs are a vision of beauty and discovery of a place far off.

I think I prefer the second image b/c of the reflection in the water. I probably would make 1 adjustment and that would be to turn it into a portrait and adjust the crop accordingly.

I do prefer the sky in the first shot more than in the other two shots.

And I do adore the way the rocks frame the side of the last photo, almost like you're peeking to see everything else. It gives quite a bit of contrast. I think I'd like it without the guy and in a portrait style with the mountain as the main focus and those rocks framing the side.

Anyhow-I'm happy you shared these and you were fortunate to view this in person and photograph it!

Asher Kelman

Thank you Heather this is " Think Positive "
Have a nice day.
Lucio

Luciano,

I second that! Yes Heather does have a good approach! I like that too. However, we don't need to bold it as that seems like "SHOUTING" and spoils the message. We do try to be not only positive but also nurturing and support each person on their own path. So we'll find the good in a picture and point that out. At the same time, when you comment on my pictures you can say what could be better. That way we all get a good feeling and some help on out journey.

I love you pictures and wish I had been there!

There's a guy who flied kites with a digicam. That's what I would like for these great mountains. Or else, if I was brave enough, paraglide and take the pictures on the way down!

I wonder how easy it is to take off again if you land on a mountain peak?

Asher