• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why I'll Never Be A Wedding Photographer

Rachel Foster

I'm taking a five day class on weddings (my portrait class was canceled due to inadequate enrollment and I figured this was transfer). While everyone else was taking the traditional, I was on the ground shooting this.

c183888x2592.jpg

Again, apologies if exposure and focus are off; I really can't spot it on my laptop. What I was trying to do was pick up the gorgeous lines and planes of the couple's faces. So...what needs work? What (if anything) worked?

Charlotte Thompson

Hi Rachel

this would be my choice for a photographer if I needed one for a wedding...as you might think and know I am not into traditional- rather I would want a capture of reality as to what is going on-that is what I would do absolutely..you have captured the true happiness of this couple they have the innocent look of innocence as to what is coming for them in their journey as far as marriage and life- I sure would like to see more. a tad more light and to bad his eyes look closed
but I do love the innocence captured

Charlotte

Rachel,

How are you metering the existing light? On camera meter, hand-held meter? Judging by the bright background, you may have had an exposure more suited for the brighter light than your subjects.
The fill flash will absolutely help in this regards, but if you are taking natural light shots, using some slight overexposure techniques may help in these situations.

Marshall

Rachel Foster

I'm saving for a combo meter that will have a spot plus...um, well, the kind that can be used for landscape as well as portrait.

Which brings up another point......journalistic style to wedding photography: thoughts?

I HATE the cookie cutter poses (which are lovely but not interesting to ME to shoot). However, couples will want those traditional poses. Is the only solution combo?

Asking the couple what they expect is a start, that paves the way into discussing different styles. Typically, the couple would have done some research and have ideas about what they want in pictures. I prefer the journalistic approach as well, as it allows for a more relaxed feel to the shots. Not all younger couples know what to call the different approaches, so have some examples to show them.
I just posted 4 Black and White shots in the Wedding forum here, maybe these will provide some examples.

Marshall

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Foster

I love black and white.....but there was definite posing there. Some seem to think journalistic means no direction by the photographer. Your models were glorious, by the way.

My problem will be learning how to control the external flash more. I'm losing the nuance and shadow that I love so much in portraiture.

Rachel Foster

Today's "bride"

Well, lighting is better in some ways but I still don't have the control I want. This was shot indoors (rain) with overhead flourescents (not my choice!). It does have the glow around the edges, and unwanted shadowing is reduced, but this is going to take practice.

The lighting his my main focus here.

058-1.jpg

How much flash did you use in this shot? As you use your flash more, one of the things to look at is some form of diffuser. In this shot, you could have used some extra flash to light up the eyes and make them come alive. She is missing that light in this shot,her eyes look overly gray. There are several items you can use to add to the flash to reflect, diffuse, soften, the light that hits your subject. I really like the angle and the affect that the shot conveys, it just needs a bit more pop to it.

Marshall

Rachel Foster

Ah, Marshall, this was my first day with the flash. My answer to your (good!) question is: it was on a sort of auto setting and I ain't got a clue yet. I also like the angle and her face is wonderfully expressive, but learning how to use the flash and (when I get it) light meter is going to take some time. I actually thought you popped it on and it just did what it was supposed to do!

I am trying to learn how to control the lighting so that the glow around the profile remains, but the shadows (that I don't direct/control) are gone. I want the eyes to glow with perceived emotion in such a way that they grab the viewer by the throat and don't let go.

The instructors for my workshop this week are Huth and Booth. When I saw a slideshow of their work, I was impressed by their very adept use of emotional triggers. I want that...but I want to do it better! First, though, flashes and light meters.

Have you been able to compare any of your shots to other student's shots of the same girl? If you have the opportunity, have someone else take a shot with their setup of the same shot that you are planning and see how they go about using flash.
I looked at the website that you linked, one of the things that stands out is the whites of the eyes in the shots. How can you create a more white look in your models, that is what will grab your audience and keep them looking.

Marshall

Rachel Foster

Yes I have. It's a small class, but almost everyone knows how to use their flash. The faces are generally lit as expected ("good" perhaps). But my difficulty is the poses are also as expected! I think wedding photographers almost have to follow a sort of recipe. I suspect couples and their families have definite ideas of what they want to see and to stay in business, likely most photographers have to satisfy that.

The idea of producing anything so that it is consistent with what everyone else is doing is anathema to me. Huth and Booth also provide the expected, but seem to do it better with some surprise elements. But....the expected is there.

There are some here who know I'll have to learn lighting the hard way: trial and error. It will take longer but when I "get it" it will be "mine." I'm not saying this well, so I'm not sure my meaning will come through.

I've been pondering a possible way to do weddings. I think if I had a partner who shot the expected that perhaps I could then supplement with my own way of seeing people.

I follow what you are saying, no prob.
I am sure that there are listings for local wedding photographers. How about seeing if you know any of them, or can be introduced to some through your local photo store. Once done, maybe you can partner with them a couple of times.
I am still very wet behind the ears and am learning to control light better. It is such an interesting and challenging issue.