• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cassandra: four portraits

1. Portrait In black:

318912659_sVQdR-X2.jpg

2. Portrait with umbrella:

318912964_7XNHC-X2.jpg

3. Portret in red:

318913511_KSYqG-X2.jpg

4. Portrait in stripes:

318913765_zRqkr-X2.jpg

Canon 40D, 70-200/2.8 IS

Enjoy!

I love number 3.
A bit too much glow for me on the series but that's personal.

On one I would have loved to see a bit more seperation on the hairs and background.
On two not a fan of the umbrella.
Number 3 is great, combine it with the expression of 1 and it's killer.
Number 4 is also very nice.

Frank,
thank you very much for your C&C, appreciate your time and thoughts!

I love number 3.
yay:)

A bit too much glow for me on the series but that's personal.
I was trying a new technique. I could have verdone it a bit, but hey, you never know until you try. FWIW, she loved it :)

On one I would have loved to see a bit more seperation on the hairs and background.
I see what your saying, good point!

On two not a fan of the umbrella.
Will this be better? ;-)

318912466_2N8hW-X2.jpg

Number 3 is great, combine it with the expression of 1 and it's killer.
Head-switching time! PS, here I go! :)

Number 4 is also very nice.
Thank you, great to hear!

Once again, your comments are highly appreciated!

Rachel Foster

It looks overly bright to me. I only mention this because I think the monitor I'm on right now is a touch off on calibration. I'm wondering if others see it the same or if I'm right re: the brightness level on my screen.

I think the model's complexion is amazingly creamy. At the same time, there is a crispness to the focus. That is quite nice! This works for me as fashion shots, but doesn't have the personality I'd want from a portrait. With a fashion shot, that personality works against the effect.

About the umbrella: I dislike the spines but there's no way to shoot an umbrella without them. Either one likes umbrellas or one doesn't.

It looks overly bright to me. I only mention this because I think the monitor I'm on right now is a touch off on calibration. I'm wondering if others see it the same or if I'm right re: the brightness level on my screen.

I think the model's complexion is amazingly creamy. At the same time, there is a crispness to the focus. That is quite nice! This works for me as fashion shots, but doesn't have the personality I'd want from a portrait. With a fashion shot, that personality works against the effect.

About the umbrella: I dislike the spines but there's no way to shoot an umbrella without them. Either one likes umbrellas or one doesn't.

Rachel, thank you!

Brightenss: not a single point is higher that 240, and most should be below 230. So I think its a monitor, mine been calibrated one day ago (and I do it religiously)

Creamy/sharp: was going for it:)

Umbrella: like you said, some like it, some don't :) She does:)

Rachel Foster

Good info to have! I have Spyder 2 but messed up my monitor big time. I'm currently gathering the courage to have another go at it.

She's lovely, by the way.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Stylist

Nik,

I see you moving ahead, these are the best of all the model work you've been playing with lately but, if you're going commercial, you need a stylist. Some contradictions are the multiple earrings and ear posts with the glamour pinup look; the red and green and then red and wine colors - they conflict. Umbrellas used as props are never open like you did - they are closed and used as a cane...these little things will set you apart. Attention to details are critical to the big bucks.

Nikolai,

Great Model, nice shots. I like the lighting scheme. I find the ear-post-thing distracting as well.

However, I love the relaxed, connected feeling I get from the model which I assume is a result of the way you handled her.

The portrait in stripes is probably my favorite clothing setup, nicely done. I think the flat profile, however, is not flattering. It provides too close a look at the hairstyle and her nose... I really like the way the stripes flatter her though... did I mention I liked the stripes? :)

Rachel Foster

Um.....I like the nose profile! Her nose is not a "Barbie" nose and makes her face very interesting! But, I suppose the purpose of the shot would have an impact. I think fashion shots can be a bit "quirky" but I really don't know the 'biz.'

I don't mind her nose profile, but I do think a slightly different head position would've complimented her and added something to the photo.

I think if the photo was intended to be about her fashionable nose :), then it seems there should be a different crop and/or subject distance. Same if the photo was about the hairstyle...