• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Carnivorous Plants in Action

Mike Spinak

pro member
In a thread a couple months ago, we talked about how to photograph flowers, when flowers (and, by extension, plants, generally) appear to "do nothing". I thought it would be fun to show some recent photos where the plants are more obviously doing something. Here are some shots of roundleaf sundew, a carnivorous plant, catching and eating insects. I hope you enjoy:

2629391964_7bb80019ee_o.jpg

© Mike Spinak

2627270572_f1940d2c0c_o.jpg

© Mike Spinak

2607827460_496d52f120_o.jpg

© Mike Spinak

Last edited:

Mike Spinak

pro member
By the way, a few technical details:

These were all taken with a Canon 1Ds Mark II, with a 180 f/3.5 macro lens with a 2x teleconverter, on a tripod, with a remote release. The apertures varied, but they tended to be rather small, like around f/22. The exposures were pretty slow.

These were taken in Butterfly Valley, in California.

I also took exposures with differences in focus, for trying focus stacking, later.

Hi Mike,

Isn't nature fascinating, the color, the diversity, the clever specializations? And it's challenging to capture. Thanks for sharing, and I also like how the colors came out.

I also took exposures with differences in focus, for trying focus stacking, later.

That will be an interesting exercise. The challenge will be, besides the technical issues, to keep the background from becoming too distractingly sharp. A common pitfall is that selective unsharpness tends to get sacrificed in the effort. It doen't have to be, but it'll require some clever layering/masking, something that most of the current software applications neglect. Therefore the photographer can still make a difference.

Bart

Mike Spinak

pro member
Bart,

I think I'll probably try the focus stacking manually. I'm mainly interested in trying it with the second picture, just to get the red parts in front of the fly in focus.

Cheers.

Mike Spinak

pro member
Here's my first attempt at focus stacking:

2633816331_a9b75ee4ba_o.jpg

It's not perfect, but hopefully it's decent. I ran into an unexpected complication: The plant was moving faster than I had realized, between frames.

It's not perfect, but hopefully it's decent. I ran into an unexpected complication: The plant was moving faster than I had realized, between frames.

It's very decent, given the issues that movement and magnification differences pose. It's an improvement over what physics allows to capture in a single shot.

Bart

Mike Spinak

pro member
I've focus stacked a few shots over the last few days, and I am really liking focus stacking. For those macro photographers, here, who haven't tried it, yet, it's well worth trying.

Mike Spinak

pro member
I'm no expert, and what I do is fairly straightforward. In the field, shoot a picture–adjust focus–shoot another–adjust focus–shoot another, etc.

When home, carefully line them up. Then make multiple layers, and take the sharpest parts from each, and put them into a single image. A quick and dirty way to do it is to use the close tool, and clone the sharp parts from one picture onto another.