• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

which printer

adrian rathbone

Well it seems like a simple enough question im new to digital photraohy so at this stage i dont want to do anything fancy but i do want a printer that will give me good quality prints from home off my eos 450d any ideas/ suggestions please

Depending upon the size of prints that you will want to make, that will eliminate some models. Both Epson and Canon make some nice models that are not expensive. The biggest price will come from ink refills. That is another aspect of cost to consider, how often will you need to replace the ink??
If you really want nice good quality prints, I would suggest that you look at printers with multiple color ink cartridges. An example, I use an Epson R1800, it has 8 ink cartridges and each is $15 to replace, but it makes nice prints.
Go on to the web sites for each and look at the models that will satisfy your needs.
Hope that helps a little.

Marshall

Mike Shimwell

There are a lot of other questions before you can really answer this - firstly, how big do you want to print. What media (matte or gloss or both). Do you want prints to last a long time.

Then after all that there's lots of choice out there, but you should probably look for something that prints with pigment inks. Epson, canon and HP all offer solutions at differing sizes. You should be awre that ink costs for small printers are disproportionate (although you can get continuous systems probably worth waiting before going down that path though) in comparison with large printers.

Don't forget to factor in the cost of some image editing software, e.g. photoshop elements.

Enjoy the learning curve:)

Mike

adrian rathbone

thanks for your help

Thanks a lot for your suggestions , as far as size goes i think i will eventually look at a3 printing but certainly for the time being a4 would more than suffice, As far as digital software goes i have been using paint shop pro for some time now and allthough i appreciate it isn`t as powerfull as photoshop having used it for a number years i have become quite proficient in its use (if i do say so my self).
As far as matter goes this is very experimental i really like satin prints but matt sounds like an intruiging if unexplored territory for me , any way having read a few posts and looked arround a bit i think im settled on a nice epson, il let you all know how i get on and mabee even post a few shots (as soon as i think i have something worthy ). Any way thanks again for all your help keep em coming
Ade