• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Tully

Jim Galli

TullySessionD2007s.jpg

Tully

D session 2007 Friends of the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. Bob Tully devoted the best he had to this railroad. By summer of last year I knew he wouldn't be around forever. He was sitting in front of the Depot in Chama NM talking to a lady and when the conversation was finished they both started in different directions and I told Bob I needed him to sit right there for a minute while I made a picture of him. We lost him this July 4th.

The only camera I took on this trip was a little Minolta Autocord TLR. I had exhausted my supply of film and all I had left was a roll of Kodak Tech Pan. I knew this was an important picture and I didn't want to screw it up. Tech Pan is notoriously fussy. When the news came this weekend that we had lost this special man I really wanted to see this picture. I found some Technidol LC upstairs and carefully developed the roll.

Bob will be sorely missed. He was a terrific spirit. All gruff and 20 grit sandpaper but inside you knew he was pure sweetness.

Great shot Jim, I really enjoy some of these characters that have so many stories of their life in the west. Living in Phoenix, I get to see some of these "good ole boy" types. You are so right, get past the exterior and they are special people. Thanks for sharing your image and story.

Marshall

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jim,

I love the way you bring character to our pages. The news is Tully died July the 4th. However, the way you have presented him, so concisely with your photograph, he comes to represent part of the fabric that stretched life across this continent. Also the way to bring it to us is personal. So Tully's passing feels like a loss to everyone and it's as if the USA lost one more guy that helped make it.

His furrowed brows and stare in front of him portends something in the future as if he knew what was coming up, like a railway man looking ahead on the track.

Thanks for bringing him to us!

Asher

Last edited:

Mike Shimwell

Jim

Great picture, but all the better for the kind words about the man.

Incidentally, I remember shooting tech pan on 35mm many moons ago.

Thanks

Mike