• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How would you do it different?

Jim Galli

Asher started a great idea in my other post, (perhaps he'll repost both pics here) and I got cold feet because I worried the family of the fellow in the photo might find the original intent compromised. But the idea is terrific so I'll try again over here and see if I can draw a few of you in. We'll use my brother in law, John Cole because no amount of abuse is ever enough between brother in laws. Read that, don't worry, he won't care.

Here is my original 600 DPI scan from 120 film. The original picture was done with a little Minolta Autocord camera. Download it and have at it, and show us how you would interpret this.

Here's my finished picture.

John_Cole2s.jpg

John Cole

Here's my workflow:
  1. Scan at as 48bit color neg.
  2. flip horizontally.
  3. desaturate to 90% (10% of the color left)
  4. adjust in levels.
  5. make a duplicate layer and turn it to 'soft light'
  6. do opacity change in the soft light layer using TLAR
  7. flatten.
  8. Take a look at curves and see if you want to tweak any little bit.
  9. use the bandaid thingy to fix all the dust and mustache hairs.
  10. Sharpen with unsharp mask Radius 1.4 threshold 4 about 70% for this size picture.
  11. re-size for web and unsharp mask again but only about 32% at the new size.
  12. finished as you see.

What would you do differently?? Have at it and tell us your workflow.

Jack_Flesher

Great image Jim!

Here's my version:

john_cole2_jbfrework.jpg

Jim Galli Photo, reworked by Jack Flesher​

My edits were pretty simple,

Flip Horizontal
Straighten
Crop
Fix gap at lower RH corner after square crop
Clean dust
Clone out negative stain from arm
Soften stain area
Desaturate color to 33%, maintaining a touch of the warmth of the original
Sharpen via smart sharpen
Set white and black points in levels
Contrast
Slight edge burn
resize for web
add border
post it here

Cheers,

janet Smith

pro member
Untitledv2.jpg

Hi Jim

I've just spent about 10 mins or so working on your brother in law, and came up with this, sorry no time to clean the dust off him!

Initially I used channel mixer and levels, then to empaphasise texture I have burned the top of his hat a bit, his beard and moustache, also down the side of his right shoulder and arm to help with separation from his b'ground, dodged his eyes a bit to brighten them. Sharpened, worked with contrast a little in selected areas, sorry I haven't noted exactly what I did.

I used to print my own B&W years ago, and spent many long hours shut in the dark! Now I'm trying to relearn the best way to work with b&w digitally so this is interesting for me...

Love the shot BTW.

Jack_Flesher

Nice job Jan! I considered burning down the hot area on the hat too, but in the end left it because I felt it displayed the "heat of the sun" and lent more credibility to the wearing of the hat in the first place. Not sure now which I like better though...

Cheers,

Jim Galli

Looking at Jacks version especially, I think if I were to try for a salon print of this for some reason I would isolate the train car behind John and play it way down. I don't think much of the rendering of the oof area with this little camera.

johncole3.jpg

Mike Shimwell

Hi Jim,

Too busy at the moment, but I couldn't resist spending a few minutes - sorry I didn't have time to clean him up first!

Love the picture,

Mike.

2657125334_bf167ac4ef_o.jpg