• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon Flash question

John Need

I wasn't sure where to post this really so apologies if I've stuck it in the wrong forum!!

I've just received the Canon 430ex and was advised on the phone when I bought it, that the infra-red trigger I use for my Elinchrom 400 heads would work with this flash! Now, the problem is, it doesn't!
Does anyone know if I would have to purchase the Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter as I do the occasional shoot for a skateboard brand so is essential for the late nights in Edinburgh, or is
there an alternative, cheaper soloution?

Many thanks,
John

Doug Kerr

Hi, John,

I wasn't sure where to post this really so apologies if I've stuck it in the wrong forum!!

I've just received the Canon 430ex and was advised on the phone when I bought it, that the infra-red trigger I use for my Elinchrom 400 heads would work with this flash! Now, the problem is, it doesn't!
Does anyone know if I would have to purchase the Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter as I do the occasional shoot for a skateboard brand so is essential for the late nights in Edinburgh, or is
there an alternative, cheaper soloution?

The Canon wireless flash system uses a proprietary optical protocol. The signals can be sent by any of several models of Canon Speedlite flash (such as the 550EX, 580EX, 580EX II, and the macro and ring flashes), the ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter, and (I believe) by some compatible third-party flash units.

There is no other reasonable way to operate under this system.

The Canon wireless flash system uses a proprietary optical protocol.

That's right, and it fires ahead of the actual flash in order to send the various parameters.

There is no other reasonable way to operate under this system.

That depends a bit on how the timing and sensitivity of the Elinchrome IR works. When the 430EX is used in Manual mode, I think it doesn't send any pre-flash and thus could be used to trigger an optical slave receiver. Again, I don't know if the timing and sensitivity of the Elinchrom receiver matches that of the 430EX. Anything else than a Manual 430EX setting is certainly going to fail due to premature triggering by pre-flash and/or pre-sent IR data.

Bart

Mike Shimwell

If you can live with manual flash control then you can use the ebay radio triggers - they are cheap, but be aware that they don't always sync as well as the canon kit (so you might need to 1/125s shutter rather than 1/200) and some of them can cause spurious flashes on the 430ex. Mine are OK on channel 3!?

Mike

Doug Kerr

Hi, Guys,

Oh, I was thinking of operation in the other direction - using the Elinchrome system to make the 430EX fire. I thought that because of the reference to the ST-E2.

Best regards,

Doug

John Need

It's simply to trigger the flash on it's own, without the use of any other lights. I'm thinking the ST-E2 is the way forward and have sourced it online for £99 with free delivery. it comes from Hong Kong via a British importer. Have bought from these guys before and the items where here in 2 days...pretty impressive.

Thanks for all you input.
Cheers

Doug Kerr

Hi, John,

It's simply to trigger the flash on it's own, without the use of any other lights. I'm thinking the ST-E2 is the way forward and have sourced it online for £99 with free delivery. it comes from Hong Kong via a British importer. Have bought from these guys before and the items where here in 2 days...pretty impressive.

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how the rig works out.

Best regards,

Doug