• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Backyard Hummer

Gary Ayala

A snap from this morning:

331240631_zspnZ-M.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

A snap from this morning:
Hi Gary,

You call these beautiful pictures a snap, to me they are anything but that. I know some other photographers who try to photograph hummingbirds but it is not easy at all! So this is, again, an excellent picture. It also has a nice tonality and bokeh. What lens did you use?

Cheers,

I agree with Cem. This is certainly more than a casual snapshot: nicely posed, catch-light in the eye, clean and soft background.

Gary Ayala

Thanks Cem ... this was with the Bigma (Sigma 50-500) @ 500mm.

Thanks Don for looking and commenting.

Gary

PS- You guys notice the tongue?
G

Gary Ayala

Bonjour Gary

I would love to see a crop at 100%…

Thanks for sharing

Salut, ca va? - LOL ... no you wouldn't. The Bigma, for me, is not truly sharp ... barely acceptable. I will be up grading to a 300mm and a 400mm prime to cover this range. I'll post some 100% Bigmas later this week.

A la prochaine,
Gary

PS- So what is the difference being being Francaise and European?
G

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Hi Gary

Yes, ça va bien merci! Content de te revoir parmi nous !

The sharpness of Bigma is what I wanted to compare with my Canon 500 ;-)

The difference between Français and Européen? Same as between Californian and American…

Gary Ayala

Reureux d'etre de retour.

The Bigma is about equal to the Canon 100 - 400 in image quality. Your 500 prime should blow it away at 100%. A friend of mine recently purchased the Canon 400 5.6 and we did a bit of a comparison. The Bigma required more processing to attain similar sharpness and contrast IQ ... the additional processing means more noise. Up to an 8x10 there isn't any or very little visible difference between the Canon 400 prime and the Sigma 50-500, but at 100% it is noticable.

The 400mm had much, much better corner sharpness and significantly faster focus.

Gary

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Gary,

I love hummingbirds as they defied science for almost a century and didn't accept the notion that their flight was physically impossible. I have a great admiration for their specialized flying and ability to hover and sip nectar. Your picture is fresh and interesting with the twig giving an extra twist.

I have not yet achieved my ambition of beautiful humming bird pictures and need to setup a feeder. The birds are to far away for my 70-200 lens even with a x 1.4 extender.

Asher

Gary Ayala

Gary,

I love hummingbirds as they defied science for almost a century and didn't accept the notion that their flight was physically impossible. I have a great admiration for their specialized flying and ability to hover and sip nectar. Your picture is fresh and interesting with the twig giving an extra twist.

I have not yet achieved my ambition of beautiful humming bird pictures and need to setup a feeder. The birds are to far away for my 70-200 lens even with a x 1.4 extender.

Asher

Hey Asher, Hummers are great and very entertaining to watch. When you get a feeder make sure you get the kind which have a perch. The perch give the bird a well deserved rest while feeding ... makes for tougher photography. I have a potted ficus near one of my feeders ... so that gets a lot of use as well.

Gary