• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Istanbul...Sinan and the past

fahim mohammed

I fell in love with Istanbul...its people and itself. Cliches abound, and all are applicable. How can one
try to capture and convey in a visit that which might have had a beginning but which, to me, has no end.

Sinan was the architect genius whose work is arguably the best demonstration of color, harmony, design,
elegance in a building. My attempts are way too feeble to do justice to these icons of Istanbul that
everyone has recorded...masterpieces of the Ottoman period that live and breathe to this day..

p1041240360.jpg

p789164151.jpg

As displayed on the clock it was 1045 hrs and thankfully no flash was allowed.

Regards.

fahim,

Thanks for posting this. It is marvelous and I see why you are so enthused. Please tell us how you made these shots, what camera, lens, hand held or tripod, etc.?

-Nat

fahim mohammed

Hi Nat,

Thanks for looking.

This the so called 'new mosque' in Istanbul built circa 1597! I waited for sometime till there were very few tourists. Approached the person on the right side reading the Koran, if he would mind being
included in the picture. Told him where I was from..some small talk, and he agreed.

M8, 'cron 28 at f2.8, ss = 1/25, hand held. slight curves in cs3 to bring out some darkness and crop
to remove a sign marking prayer area and tourist access limit. Fortunately, though, I was not subject to this limit as I also wanted to pray.

Regards.

fahim,

Thanks for posting this. It is marvelous and I see why you are so enthused. Please tell us how you made these shots, what camera, lens, hand held or tripod, etc.?

-Nat

Cem_Usakligil

I fell in love with Istanbul...its people and itself. Cliches abound, and all are applicable. How can one
try to capture and convey in a visit that which might have had a beginning but which, to me, has no end.

Sinan was the architect genius whose work is arguably the best demonstration of color, harmony, design,
elegance in a building. My attempts are way too feeble to do justice to these icons of Istanbul that
everyone has recorded...masterpieces of the Ottoman period that live and breathe to this day...
Hi Fahim,

I am so thrilled to read that you've fallen in love with my hometown. I was born and raised there and there is no doubt in my mind that it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world (and I have seen quite some so far).

How long have you been there and which parts did you visit?

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
I loved seeing it too..

The city of Istanbul is a mix of wonderful images and places to visit...it's people most hospitable. Thank you for sharing your wonderful images. The Hagia Sofia is breathtaking to photograph as are the streets, the people, the waterways....I think I have to go and visit my images from there taken last year. One day I am sure I will return to that place with so much history and color.

Gary Ayala

Fahim Mohammed - I love the dome, details in the shadows and in the highlights ... nicely done. The chandelier in the foreground I find quite distracting. I can appreciate the effect you were after, but for me, the chandelier is to intrusive to be an effective and positive element in the image.

Your images bring back many fond memories of a great city.

Gary

fahim mohammed

Cem, so much so that my wife and me are planning a return visit soon. I was there for 10 days. The first four were in Cengenkoy on the asian side and then over to the european side of the Bosphorus.

Of course we did the mandatory tours and walked the tourist walks..but I got to up to bebek, ortokoy and followed the road till the gas finished on the asian side.

Went to Eradine, to see Sinan's masterpiece and of course saw most of Turkey at mini-turk!

Lovely, lovely place and better still are its people. Gracious, kind, friendly and hospitable.

You are lucky to be living in this crossroads of civilizations!

Best.

Hi Fahim,

I am so thrilled to read that you've fallen in love with my hometown. I was born and raised there and there is no doubt in my mind that it is one of the most beautiful cities in the world (and I have seen quite some so far).

How long have you been there and which parts did you visit?

Cheers,

fahim mohammed

Gary, thanks for your comments. I appreciate your input. Sometimes, when one does not have the
luxury of time one does what one can do. With hindsight ( or if I go back ), your comment shall be
definitely kept in mind.

Best regards.

Fahim Mohammed - I love the dome, details in the shadows and in the highlights ... nicely done. The chandelier in the foreground I find quite distracting. I can appreciate the effect you were after, but for me, the chandelier is to intrusive to be an effective and positive element in the image.

Your images bring back many fond memories of a great city.

Gary

Cem_Usakligil

Cem, so much so that my wife and me are planning a return visit soon. I was there for 10 days. The first four were in Cengenkoy on the asian side and then over to the european side of the Bosphorus.

Of course we did the mandatory tours and walked the tourist walks..but I got to up to bebek, ortokoy and followed the road till the gas finished on the asian side.

Went to Eradine, to see Sinan's masterpiece and of course saw most of Turkey at mini-turk!

Lovely, lovely place and better still are its people. Gracious, kind, friendly and hospitable.

You are lucky to be living in this crossroads of civilizations!

Best.
Hi Fahim,

So glad to hear that you've had such a good time there. How was it in Edirne, I haven't been there in the last 30 years or so.

BTW, I live in Holland for more than 20 years now so I am not so lucky in the sense of living at the crossroads of civilizations. But I am a lucky guy nevertheless :)

Cheers,

fahim mohammed

Cem, i was in Edrine for a day only and my trip was to visit Sinan's masterpiece..which it is!
Small town and unfortunately the river had run dry and the bridge looked neglected.

Cem, we are all lucky to be alive and able to pursue our photog hobby.

Regards.

Hi Fahim,

So glad to hear that you've had such a good time there. How was it in Edirne, I haven't been there in the last 30 years or so.

BTW, I live in Holland for more than 20 years now so I am not so lucky in the sense of living at the crossroads of civilizations. But I am a lucky guy nevertheless :)

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim,

This brings back fond memories of Istanbul and my photography at the same famous sanctuary. That picture of the dome is beautiful and impressive.

Some areas one needs flash. Here you have been very fortunate.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, Istanbul deserves to bring back fond memories. I am going back soon!

Best wishes.

Fahim,

This brings back fond memories of Istanbul and my photography at the same famous sanctuary. That picture of the dome is beautiful and impressive.

Some areas one needs flash. Here you have been very fortunate.

Asher