• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The attraction

Hi,

A centered-frame again, one likes or not... Subject is NOT trolley with boats but ROLE of trolley with boats...

lelouerdebateau1tn9.jpg

C&C are welcome.

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Selective blur or sharpening to help rank importance of scene compnents!

Hi Cedric,

I have been waiting for others to comment so now I'll jump in anyway! I do like this photograph anyway, but it might be improved with local enhancements. Unfortunately, the camera has no idea what we think might be more important so sometimes, like here, we might need to give hints to guide the viewer

The scene is almost Brueghel-like if we could see more activity. The people just out of the frame on the right for example. Features that are then most significant are:

T
  • he sail boat vendor leaning back on his chair
  • The cart of Sailboats
  • The "Stately home" curving from the center to the right background
The figures to the left looking at the scene balance the strong feature of the right curve of the important architecture.

I would suggest looking at the following concept to add focus.

Select the important features above with a feather of ~6 pixels and sharpen just a tad on a separate layer.

Invert the selection and Gaussian blur the people on the upper left on another layer. Use the least possible of this layer. when you are satisfied, now reduce the use of this layer to ~30-50%. Now this will only be very slightly blurred but enough to recognize against the sharpened important features.

Asher

Hi,

Asher, i am going to try your tips, it could give a good result indeed. To shoot this one, i used a wide-angle zoom with f4.5 min aperture and 12mm focal lenth (APS-C format) so DoF is very important. I think i may have another version of this image on my hard disk, with uncropped people on the right, i will search it where i am at home.

Cem, as a matter of fact, my original idea was a bit "brain" : i considered the trolley as the central element of the scene because it determines entire activity all around the pool : vendors earn money with boats rental, boats are creating attraction on the pool and groups of tourist are coming to see these boats...

Thanks for your comments.