• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

House about to be demolished

Antonio Correia

Someone I am working with is going to build a new home in the same place where her grand father lieved for some decades.
I was asked to go and shoot the house before the demolition and ended up shooting her god-mother, her father and herself.
I was shooting with the Canon 5D + either the 16-35 or the 24-70 and Lightroom, with perspective corrections in CS3 with way back to Lightroom to finish the picture.
From RAW to TIF to JPG at the end.
I do like the shallow DoF I can get from this camera.

The first photo is however a merge of two others with CPF.
325503719_an9jq-L.jpg

I used a bounced flash - Canon 580 EXII - against a wall on our right and the 430 EX on our left with less power.
I have shot over and over until I got this picture. AI-Servo.

325498899_pxXqd-L.jpg

Again 580 EXII bounced to the wall or ceiling, I tried to balance the light with the outside, even if it is very small.
326421643_vRKo7-L.jpg

Detail of door handle of the main entrance. No flash as the light was reflected from the ambient. As you can see in the first picture the wheather was shine and bright.
325806323_Ltsjc-L.jpg

More to come. Thank you for watching.

Gary Ayala

Antonio-

Is your intent to document the house and its destruction, or to create an artistic portfolio of the structure ... more for memories than documentation?

Gary

PS- How do you like the 5D?
G

Antonio Correia

Antonio- Is your intent to document the house and its destruction, or to create an artistic portfolio of the structure ... more for memories than documentation? Gary PS- How do you like the 5D? G

G (I like this: read the caracter as a shortcut for Gary)

She asked me to shoot the house at that moment and I did so.
I should say more like "create an artistic portfolio of the stucture" and also for the memory.

I have some projects about shooting churches in Setúbal - I must write a letter to the Bishop - and bull fighting in the village where I work.
Haven't you sen my bullfighter pics ?
:)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Excellent project, Antonio! I'd take pics of the folk there with light from just the windows and no flash or just a small fill.

I'd keep that door with the handle. If it was in LA, I'd come myself to collect it it makes a nice prop; lots of character.

The 3rd picture, for sure I'd want to try at dusk maybe with a candle or lantern and the window shades open

You, seem to be so good at finding subjects with character. Watch out that the latter gets easily ruined by flash and enhanced by natural evening light. Look at the work of Tim Armes here and on his website as he also goes a lot for character.

Looking forward to more as the project proceeds.

Asher

Antonio Correia

Excellent project, Antonio! I'd take pics of the folk there with light from just the windows and no flash or just a small fill.

I'd keep that door with the handle. If it was in LA, I'd come myself to collect it it makes a nice prop; lots of character.

The 3rd picture, for sure I'd want to try at dusk maybe with a candle or lantern and the window shades open

You, seem to be so good at finding subjects with character. Watch out that the latter gets easily ruined by flash and enhanced by natural evening light. Look at the work of Tim Armes here and on his website as he also goes a lot for character.

Looking forward to more as the project proceeds.

Asher

Thank you Asher.
I'll be passing here from time to time ...

Antonio Correia

G I forgot to tell you:

The Canon 5D ? Aahhh ! Fantastic.
I like it very much, very much.
The DoF is gaorgeous. I like that. The detail...
And as you know I have only L lenses so ...

Better than the 20D for sure.
I can remember - and I am wronge for sure - that you have mentioned once that you found no difference in them. I was wronge. That must have been a wronge of my interpretations.

Cheers.

Gary Ayala

G I forgot to tell you:

The Canon 5D ? Aahhh ! Fantastic.
I like it very much, very much.
The DoF is gaorgeous. I like that. The detail...
And as you know I have only L lenses so ...

Better than the 20D for sure.
I can remember - and I am wronge for sure - that you have mentioned once that you found no difference in them. I was wronge. That must have been a wronge of my interpretations.

Cheers.

Antonio-

Up to an 8x10 and at IS0 400 and under ... there isn't a significant difference. Larger than 8x10 the differences become visible ... the larger the size the greater the difference.

I agree with Asher. For memories dump the flash ... see the light Antonio, work with the shadows.

Na próxima vez quando atira, vê seu assunto então olhar na luz... não o assunto a luz.

A luz pode ser áspera ou macia, azul, amarela, vermelha, ouro, direcional ou diffused... olhar na luz... atira a luz.

Gary

Antonio Correia

...I agree with Asher. For memories dump the flash ... see the light Antonio, work with the shadows.
Na próxima vez quando atira, vê seu assunto então olhar na luz... não o assunto a luz.
A luz pode ser áspera ou macia, azul, amarela, vermelha, ouro, direcional ou diffused... olhar na luz... atira a luz. Gary

I think it is just a point of view...
The photos with flash have more impact.
The photos wtout flash are more "natural" ?
In fact these give a different mood to th epictures... I do agree.

Asher Kelman

SmugMug is for the moment red-faced and not working! It will be repaired shortly no doubt! So return to see Antonio's pics!

Cem_Usakligil

SmugMug is for the moment red-faced and not working! It will be repaired shortly no doubt! So return to see Antonio's pics!
Frequent distruptions of service like this and slow loading of pages were the reasons why I've eventually stopped my SM subscription. It's a pity since it is a very good service when all is working well.

Cheers,

Antonio Correia

Cem, good evenning.
SM works well for me when I get there and I am supposed to be a demanding person.
I am also in Flickr but just for some short moments and because someone else - Portuguese - is also there. I don't like Flickr because of it's while but there are alternatives for this service in therms of background color ...

Thank you for the comment
Where are you now, if not in SM ? PBase ? :)

DGrin uses black background as default, but at the bottom of their page there is a chance to change the color of the background. Not here. :(
This white - I have told this before - causes me eye problems as it too strong and brilliant, in spite of the calibration of the monitor.

This is the reason why I am here but once every 2/3/5 month. :(
And I am sorry for that, because I wish I was a more frequent visitor.

DGrin has fantastic moderators as Asher has here.

Asher, do you mean this Timothy Armes ?

Asher Kelman

Yes, Antonio, that's the right Tomothy Armes!

The black background is something we'll have as an Antonio option for you when we have galleries. Nicolas is the designer and loves this light b.g. Most galleries for art one visits have white walls, not black!

Anyway, your pics are very much valued here!

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher.
You make me blush ... :)
SM is down now :(

That Armes has few pictures and very nice.
I think that I am going to "clean" my site one of these days ... :)

Antonio Correia

Come on Gary !
You have to do it yourself ! :) :)
You know G, that sometimes I have difficuty evaluating my own pictures ?
I always try to do better and I am never satisfied.

G, you are making me to come here often ! :)

Cheers