• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Full moon over misty San Francisco

Cem_Usakligil

Hi folks,

I took this one from my hotel room window last night in San Francisco. It was misty at first and then it became really foggy later. I kind of like it since it communicates an unworldly atmosphere. What do you think?

(taken with Canon 40D and 70-200 f2.8: 2 sec @ f11, ISO 400)
sf-01.jpg

Cheers,

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
HI Cem
You did choose a room at a too high floor!
So we can't see the ground level in your pic that IMLO would have been interesting

Thanksfully you haven't directed your camera downward so the building are still straight vertical!

It's amazing as on night shots in town the incamera WB does tend to show "brownish" dark colors, I experienced that before and corrected in PS to get a nicer (still IMLO) black night sky…

Hope you won't mind the "positive" sense criticism! Thanks for sharing and showing!

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Cem...

The board is very quiet of lately...everyone must be enjoying the summer and their holiday....

San Francisco has so many photogenic opportunities - almost endless. This is a beautiful shot. Did you have a tripod with you or did you handhold this? So beautiful and the 70-200 is one of Canon's best lenses.

Cem_Usakligil

HI Cem
You did choose a room at a too high floor!
So we can't see the ground level in your pic that IMLO would have been interesting

Thanksfully you haven't directed your camera downward so the building are still straight vertical!

It's amazing as on night shots in town the incamera WB does tend to show "brownish" dark colors, I experienced that before and corrected in PS to get a nicer (still IMLO) black night sky…

Hope you won't mind the "positive" sense criticism! Thanks for sharing and showing!
Hi Nicolas,

Of course I don't mind the C&C. I have asked for it, haven't I? We were at the 23th flooor on top of the Nob Hill, so we were quite high indeed. Still, you can see the sea level/harbor to the left of the "white" building, which is the SF Museum of Modern Art. But I agree, the ground would make it more interesting.

Re. the WB, the image is quite similar to what I actually saw with my eyes. Yes, it is a bit brownish -almost like the Gotham City of Batman- but I left thw WB that way since it conveys the atmosphere better IMO. After all, I am not trying to provide a realistic rendition with this one. :)

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

The board is very quiet of lately...everyone must be enjoying the summer and their holiday....

San Francisco has so many photogenic opportunities - almost endless. This is a beautiful shot. Did you have a tripod with you or did you handhold this? So beautiful and the 70-200 is one of Canon's best lenses.
Hi Kathy,

I don't have a tripod with me so I had to place the camera on the window sill using some cushions as a support. Considering the weight of the camera and lens together, this was no easy feat (LOL). I was afraid that I'd drop them 23 floors down! Can you imagine that?

Thx for your kind comments.

Cheers,

Gary Ayala

I'm with all the rest, (the exception being Fahim Mohammed), I would like to see more on the bottom. Nice mist/fog, reminds me of the old Samuel Clemans statement of the coldest winter he evey spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Gary

Cem_Usakligil

.... Nice mist/fog, reminds me of the old Samuel Clemans statement of the coldest winter he evey spent was a summer in San Francisco.

Gary
Hi Gary,

This is so true in our case. From the high 120s in the Death Valley, we have had a record low of 56 yesterday in SF. But it did not rain, at least that was nice ;-).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Showing more of the street level

You folks all seem to be wanting to have your cakes and eat them too ;-).
C'mon, how could I show more of the ground without going wider? Which, in return, would have reduced the moon to the size of a pin and thereby would have destroyed my subject/message?

But since you insist, here is some street to be seen :)

sf-05.jpg

Cheers,

Cem,

You described the intent of your shot as capturing an unworldly atmosphere, and would say that you have done that. I can see this as being a snap from Blade Runner or some film like that. The off coloring and mist really do create a unique scene. Nice job.

Marshall

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

You described the intent of your shot as capturing an unworldly atmosphere, and would say that you have done that. I can see this as being a snap from Blade Runner or some film like that. The off coloring and mist really do create a unique scene. Nice job.

Marshall
Thanks Marshall, you have summarized my intent and feelings very accurately indeed.

Cheers,