• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Over-Under Piers

Gary Ayala

Some snaps of piers in SoCal.

Gary

264689399_PHcnK-L-1.jpg

264689257_VXTk2-L.jpg

264688181_sLP3x-L.jpg

264689870_rAbTA-M.jpg

The entire gallery is here:

http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/4496738_2PbKq#264689399_PHcnK

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
All the pictures are enjoyable. This one Gary is that and more.

264689257_VXTk2-L.jpg

Interestingly it has within a number of different compositional possibilities.

The bottom section of water textures, in itself, is a work of art that can stand on its own.

Then the bridge sky and surf only need to sliver of calmer water of the foreground to complete another new image.

This is then the puzzle of what constitutes the subject since all of the possibilities as well as the original work. What I think this does is allow us to wander through these iterations and explore new things all the time as one part becomes more important one day and another time has to give way to a new part of the image.

asher

Gary Ayala

All the pictures are enjoyable. This one Gary is that and more.

Interestingly it has within a number of different compositional possibilities.

The bottom section of water textures, in itself, is a work of art that can stand on its own.

Then the bridge sky and surf only need to sliver of calmer water of the foreground to complete another new image.

This is then the puzzle of what constitutes the subject since all of the possibilities as well as the original work. What I think this does is allow us to wander through these iterations and explore new things all the time as one part becomes more important one day and another time has to give way to a new part of the image.

asher

Thanks Asher

264688981_24gxv-L.jpg

G

Cem_Usakligil

While I agree that the BW is the best of the first four, I still like the #1 at least as much. The texture of the sand, the saturation of the colors and the dramatic shadows all work very well for me. Also, the #5 showing under the pier is excellent. It should be printed large and ejoyed that way. Small size on the screen doesn't do justice.

Cheers,

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
So California

Gary,

Love this series. The piers of California are really great subjects. You've captured them beautifully.

Cem, the last colorful shot, I am sure was taken at Venice Beach - Gary will correct me if I am wrong. We did not get to the pier, just the boardwalk. The Monterey Bay Pier, which you will see later today, will give you some fun shots too.

Thanks for sharing these, Gary.

Gary Ayala

While I agree that the BW is the best of the first four, I still like the #1 at least as much. The texture of the sand, the saturation of the colors and the dramatic shadows all work very well for me. Also, the #5 showing under the pier is excellent. It should be printed large and ejoyed that way. Small size on the screen doesn't do justice.

Cheers,

Thanks Cem-

264688826_Ktjhw-L.jpg

G

Gary Ayala

Gary,

Love this series. The piers of California are really great subjects. You've captured them beautifully.

Cem, the last colorful shot, I am sure was taken at Venice Beach - Gary will correct me if I am wrong. We did not get to the pier, just the boardwalk. The Monterey Bay Pier, which you will see later today, will give you some fun shots too.

Thanks for sharing these, Gary.

Nope, the last photo was Santa Monica Pier.

264687952_h83Rg-L.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Thanks

Hi Gary - Ok - I see it now. Could have been taken over by the Venice Pavillion...but I see the planks now.

The Pier I referred to with Cem : We went to Venice Beach - not the Venice Pier; We did go to the Santa Monica Pier...I think I am going to Sterns Wharf this weekend...I best take the camera, huh?

Thanks for the inspiration!