• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Ellis Island, the Darkside of an amazing Sanctuary, Wilkes' exhibit in Chicago!

Brad Fernihough

If you are in Chicago i would not miss this. If there is a great example of how photography is "all about the print" this is it.

The images are nice on line - but go see this.

Stephen Wilkes - Ellis Island, Ghosts of Freedom at the Chicago Cultural Center.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Brad for pointing us to this amazing exhibition of photography. The pictures themselves are iconic of a untalked about selection phenomenon facing frightened immigrants entering the land of their dreams. They could see a mother, a sister or maybe they will be next being taken aside for an unknown fate. Some were merely kept there for weeks. Others never left the unpublicised building complex. This you must see.

Who was free to go, who would be held for treatment and who might be deported. The darkside has not been restored in the national museum of the ellis Island embarkation center that welcomed 12 million immigrants.

Look at the 50 years of the darkside of Ellis Island, in video, here

2643515182_5224d95901.jpg

Woman's Ward, Island # 3, Ellis Island by Stephen Wilke

The exhibition is from July 12 – October 5, 2008 and the admission of free.

For five years (1998--2003) photographer Stephen Wilkes explored and recorded the hospital complex that comprised the south side of Ellis Island. Neglected for almost 50 years, the buildings were in a state of extreme decay and disrepair. In rooms long abandoned, Wilkes captured a spirited vision of beauty in this gateway to freedom through his large-scale, color images. Stephen Wilkes, the winner of numerous honors and awards, lives in Westport, CT and is widely recognized for his fine art photography. Organized by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs

You must look at this website to see more of the pictures at the Ellis Islands Ghosts website here.

Then listen to the interview http://www.ellisislandghosts.com/

There will be a talk on this exhibition:

Gallery Talk: Stephen Wilkes: Ellis Island- Ghosts of Freedom

Thursday, August 28, 12:15pm
Chicago Cultural Center, 5th Floor Washington Room
78 E. Washington Street., Chicago
Free

Sofia Zutautas, Assistant Curator of Exhibitions, Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs, will discuss this exhibition.

For information about other Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs events, visit the Department of Cultural Affairs website.

Chicago Cultural Center, 312-744-6630

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Who was free to go, who would be held for treatment and who might be deported. The darkside has not been restored in the national museum of the ellis Island embarkation center that welcomed 12 million immigrants.[
Wow! That's a really big font.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

Doug,

I wrote it as word art and I thought you'd like it! It's my artistic prerogative to draw more people to investigate this photographers body of work, LOL! Occasionally I might do that again. Thou shalt not copycat! Grrr!

Just make sure you look at the video and the photographs then post your comments.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Brad, Asher..Thank you both for bringing this to my attention. The sites have increased my
appreciation and knowledge of Ellis island and the place it holds in US history. Very telling,
memorable and might I add, surfaces issues that some would prefer to remain
undiscussed. Maybe untold.

Best.

Asher Kelman

Hi Brad, we move threads to where they best belong. That exhibition thread is for ideas and discussion of commerce.

Asher