• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cécile

Hi,

It's soon time for me to be on vacations...
This is a last picture (analog B&W again) before i leave you some weeks :

cecile01rii0.jpg

Yashica Electro 35 GTN & Tri-X 400

With a bad scanner again... i will buy a good one in september, when i return.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Cedric,

Why does she look so French to me? She's very sympathetic and likeable.

The picture in B&W is to me correct as the colors would distract. The lighting from the window creates a positive mood and projects an idea of optimism and self-worth in this setting.

If the picture is to remain in this form, I'd consider adding space to the left side to provide real estate for her to project her thoughts. An interesting experiment: try flipping the picture horizontally so she looks from left to right. Then, perhaps, she is staring into the future and not the past.

Thanks for sharing and for working in B&W to place your picture in more stress as we are not seduced by superficiality of color. I know this may go against a lot of sensibilities because color is wonderful in itself. However, I'm glad, here at least, to see the woman unadorned with the lipstick of color so we can pay more attention to form.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

...Thanks for sharing and for working in B&W to place your picture in more stress as we are not seduced by superficiality of color. I know this may go against a lot of sensibilities because color is wonderful in itself. However, I'm glad, here at least, to see the woman unadorned with the lipstick of color so we can pay more attention to form...
Hi Asher,

By now, I am aware of this mantra of yours and I definitely agree that form is one of the most important factors in the picture. However, like some other OPF members, I think that color should not be sacrified under all conditions. I can imagine this one being a very nice portrait in color, showing the golden rays of the sun painting the lovely face of the model.

@Cedic: I love the concept but I think you might explore it a bit further. Composition can be improved as Asher pointed out. Also, pay attention to not overblowing the highlights on the face.

Just my Euro 0.02 -)

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
...Thanks for sharing and for working in B&W to place your picture in more stress as we are not seduced by superficiality of color. I know this may go against a lot of sensibilities because color is wonderful in itself. However, I'm glad, here at least, to see the woman unadorned with the lipstick of color so we can pay more attention to form...
Hi Asher,

By now, I am aware of this mantra of yours and I definitely agree that form is one of the most important factors in the picture. However, like some other OPF members, I think that color should not be sacrified under all conditions.
Cem,

My ideas on color are based on much thought of others and then on what I have found works for me. This is my current general overview of color. First accuracy is an academic delusion since color is contextually interpreted. Further, color is often not needed and even distracts from what is better in the picture. so here goes with my very approximate guide. There are however no laws in this!

B&W is far more challenging: since there is an illustrious body of work against which B&W is considered. Color is wonderful. I use it for most of my photography. However, working with B&W is for spacial projects where form, line, texture, shadow and dimensionality build a sense of presence and character hardly ever achieved when color distracts.

Where color does not do so well: Garishness and superficiality is most obvious with synthetic hues not found in nature. They more easily become garish caricatures of the marketing esthetics of the post industrial and modern world. Nevertheless, when, color is just that, and for just titillation and the "Wow!" factor, then it has its place.

Where color excels:

a) When color is of a flower or an aspen stand or gazelle, that is a perfect celebration of nature. That, IMHO and b) surrealistic or c) abstracts is where color best belongs, at least to my consideration.

If you think about these distinctions for use of color, then you might agree.

and yes, you are correct, the lady might well have looked great in color too. I'm just appreciating the B&W form which for character and mood seems fitting.

Asher

I can imagine this one being a very nice portrait in color, showing the golden rays of the sun painting the lovely face of the model.

@Cedic: I love the concept but I think you might explore it a bit further. Composition can be improved as Asher pointed out. Also, pay attention to not overblowing the highlights on the face.

Just my Euro 0.02 -)[/QUOTE]

Asher,

Indeed, in picture theory, left symbolizes past while right symbolizes future. So, my first intent was to express that this young woman (she's my little sister !) is contemplating what she accomplished these last years and that her future remains mysterious and open (big and darker surface on the right). It's not the first time i tried this kind of comp and i generally like it.

I tried to slip horizontally the picture and result is something very interesting :

cecile01rii0sp0.jpg

Now, she's facing the future and composition upsets me : her past is dark and omnipresent (dark space on the left) and her future is very short, she's pasted against the frame... This one is not framed as it should be.

Basically same comp but very different effect...