• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge: Remarkable Stairways: Joe goes first! The High School Stair Well

Joe Thibodeau

The number of kids that have climbed these stairs cannot be measured. I know I climbed them back in the 70's. This was taken with a 5x7 on Tri-X.

2726435074_2ff4af93c3.jpg

Last edited:
Vertigo Stairs

The number of kids that have climbed these stairs cannot be measured. I know I did back in the 70's. This was taken with a 5x7 on Tri-X.

Hi Joe,

Great composition, really great (everything enhances the image)!

Here's my humble 35mm film (28mm lens) contribution:
Vertigo_Stairs.jpg

I don't recall exactly (no EXIF back then), but it must have been either Kodak Tri-X or, more likely, Ilford HP-5 (from a 30.5 metre roll) as I was shooting on a budget at approx. the same time (late '70s) as your school days. My parents used to live at this floor, so I frequently looked down, waiting for the elevator, or running down to the community darkroom which was situated at the groundfloor ...

Bart

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

...Here's my humble 35mm film (24mm lens) contribution:...
Hi Bart,

There is no need to be so humble about it, it is a great picture if you ask me. The different structures on the tiles for the level platforms and on the surface of the stairs add a nice feeling of depth to the image. Also, you have chosen the correct point of view to have the bottom part extend nicely into infinity. Not bad at all for a young lad, as you were one back in the 70s ;-).

Thanks for showing.

Cheers,

Joe Thibodeau

Hi Cem,

LOL. Thanks, but mind you, I've must have been something like 17 already ;-) at the time!

Bart

I took a photography class in 1976 I think. It was fun but I didn't pick it back up until I was 37 (I'm 49). I just noticed how much texture is in that image. An amazing array of texture. In terms of big camera little camera IMO it's the image that matters and all the rest is a function of pixel count these days.

Hi Cem ... my name is from my great grandfather who migrated from France ...

I've had some very nice experiences in Holland. The Dutch Indies food is really amazing and what's not to like about Amsterdam? I had an amazing evening in Eindhoven once. Sure wish I could stay in a really nice place in the Jordan for a month ... Joe

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Me too

Hi Joe -

I took my first photo class in 1970/1971 and shot family stuff for years. Got serious again in 2001. Same kind of path to get here.

I could spend a bit more time in Amsterdam. The hosts and tour guide for my last trip were fantastic and let me all over to every photogenic spot that my feet could take me

Here is a stairwell : Sorrento Italy, 2005
75268569.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

San Franciso MoMA

...Hi Cem ... my name is from my great grandfather who migrated from France ... I've had some very nice experiences in Holland. The Dutch Indies food is really amazing and what's not to like about Amsterdam? I had an amazing evening in Eindhoven once. Sure wish I could stay in a really nice place in the Jordan for a month ... Joe
Hi Joe,

I am sure glad to read that you've enjoyed your visit to our small country. Give us a shout next time you're around.

This one I have shown a few days ago in this thread, but since it fits the bill so nicely, I wanted to show it here again. Taken at the Museum of Modern Art in San Francisco.

sf-06.jpg

Joe Thibodeau

Hi Cem it's nice to know you've visited our large country. I live just north of S.F. in West Marin.

Kathy, I've been to Amsterdam 3 times and spent 3 weeks in Italy, 6 months in Europe total. I enjoyed Cinque Terre, Ireland, Prague, Amsterdam, the Swiss and French Alps, etc, etc.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
California and the rest of the world

Hi Cem it's nice to know you've visited our large country. I live just north of S.F. in West Marin.

Kathy, I've been to Amsterdam 3 times and spent 3 weeks in Italy, 6 months in Europe total. I enjoyed Cinque Terre, Ireland, Prague, Amsterdam, the Swiss and French Alps, etc, etc.

We've tended to travel mostly by cruising with day trips into various cities but using it as a means to take a day or two's worth of images in the ports with a few days on land before and after the cruise. 2 weeks in Italy by land, however. Cruising is an easy way to go. Hoping to do Paris for a week/10 days next and a river cruise - either in Provence or maybe Budapest to Prague. Depends on how much photography income I can generate. - Next trip probably up the coast to Monterey for a weekend, although I have a possible chance to assist in a photo course in San Francisco in late fall.