• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for fine images on "Waiting!": I start with an airport scene.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
People in public places put their guard down eventually. They kind of forget the masks they where and just settle down to being themselves, but not. They are waiting. So how do people wait. Frustrated, chatting to friends, dreaming, worrying or maybe passing the time, reading.

Airport People Waiting_MG_9975_MG_9976B&W.jpg

Waiting: Private Space in a Public Place

I have the 5D on my lap with the 50 1.2L attached and point the camera at the person but I do not look at them, but elsewhere. I overlap approximately 2 or 3 adjacent frames. Here two frames where stitched to get what I needed.

I want to see how people "are", not interfere with them.

If they are closer and really super subjects, I do compromise and ask permission but get them to return to what they were doing. Here they did not know about the shots.

Asher

I rarely use mattes in showing pics here. However this I felt needs some space.

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

Good idea, I'll go next :)

Here I am, waiting for my pesky parents to arrive. It is oh so boring here and I am getting sleepy:

sf-08.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

People in public places put their guard down eventually. They kind of forget the masks they where and just settle down to being themselves, but not. They are waiting. So how do people wait. Frustrated, chatting to friends, dreaming, worrying or maybe passing the time, reading.

Airport People Waiting_MG_9975_MG_9976B&W.jpg

Waiting: Private Space in a Public Place

Hi Asher,

This picture is double nice. I like the pose of the main subject, the lady talking on the cell phone stuck between her shoulder and ear. But I equally like the relaxed attitude of the man on the left reading a paper with his glasses atop his shiny head.

Cheers,

doug anderson

Union Station, New Haven

347577912_7L6cu-L.jpg

She's watching the clock. I took this before the security guard told me I couldn't take photos because of Homeland Security guidelines. I told him it was bullshit and he agreed.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
How did people respond to being photographed there?
LoL !! He didn't respond at all!

More seriously, ask first then get the pic… some years ago, they where so happy to see immediately the pic on the camera screen… Now I don't know…

doug anderson

330376709_yXAGR-L.jpg

Chinatown
Los Angeles, California

Gary:

I love the longing of this little girl. She reminds me a little of a dog, chained outside, while the owner goes into a store (I don't mean this in any kind of demeaning way). Moving. Do you have a non-sepia version of this? I think plain black and white would take the layer of sentimentality off the top of this one. It needs some rough to counter the sweet.

D

Gary Ayala

Gary:

I love the longing of this little girl. She reminds me a little of a dog, chained outside, while the owner goes into a store (I don't mean this in any kind of demeaning way). Moving. Do you have a non-sepia version of this? I think plain black and white would take the layer of sentimentality off the top of this one. It needs some rough to counter the sweet.

D

lol ... actually I do-

G

348123491_V9uaY-L.jpg