• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

"As You Like It"

doug anderson

344733281_NYBRJ-L.jpg

You may be wondering what pirates are doing in As You Like It. Although there was no real justification, it was fun. These are high school age actors, and quite good.

344724202_3Dvzh-L.jpg

344779724_eXLvG-L.jpg

344764892_hBiHz-L.jpg

doug anderson

As You Like It 2: Jaques

344747237_KkSon-L.jpg

....Sans everything

Prologue

344707498_SNvim-L.jpg

Sprite (Cem's #2)

344731332_3i853-L.jpg

More

Shooting Nikkor 85mm 1.8 wide open. Tough to get these shots without flash.

344766348_AW7ae-L.jpg

(Cem's #3)

Last edited by a moderator:

doug anderson

As You Like It 3

344774787_PZvmk-L.jpg

This is the goddess Hymen. I'm shooting 85mm F1.8 wide open. Tough to get these shots sharp (they're moving).

344769246_RidpH-L.jpg

344712753_ERwJz-L.jpg

Did not agree with the director's method of putting dirt on the faces of the peasants. Aside from being historically wrong, it inhibited facial expression in the performance. Oh well.

344779273_GvHhs-L.jpg

Cem's #4

Last edited by a moderator:

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,

To be brutally honest (which I am sure you won't hold against me), while these pictures are quite good as a documentary of the play, they are not special enough when stripped from their context. But we are talking about a documentary of a play here, so there is no issue really :). And I am sure that the children and their parent will just love these shots.

I must compliment you for getting these sharp and noise free pictures. As you say yourself, it is not easy to get any sharp ones under such circumstances.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

I like the smile on the face of the girl in front in #4. And the gesture of her hand. Your timing was quite good on this one :).

doug anderson

Hi Doug,

To be brutally honest (which I am sure you won't hold against me), while these pictures are quite good as a documentary of the play, they are not special enough when stripped from their context. But we are talking about a documentary of a play here, so there is no issue really :). And I am sure that the children and their parent will just love these shots.

I must compliment you for getting these sharp and noise free pictures. As you say yourself, it is not easy to get any sharp ones under such circumstances.

Cheers,

Cem: thanks for the good feedback. Short of posing these people in costumes, I have to go with what happens. Lovely faces, though.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Doug,

I've consolidated this so that it can be considered as one. As Cem has pointed out, these are wonderful memories to all the actors and their families. The very spontanious nature of their continued movement is often part of the deal at such productions.

Still, there's a few ideas I might share:

1. Try to get the production to allow time for you to pose the actors when there is no pressure. Let the parents know there will be a delay in picking them up. Get parents to fill in a consent form with their email for you to send a link to a fulfillment site to sell your pictures.

2. Take the pictures, as you did with the two "Jeunne Filles" with them the stars not just happening to get in your viewfinder. They must have a compelling presence. Since you did it with the two older girls, this is something that can be accomplished. You do have to engage the kids and let them know what you want.

3. Try to simplify the background, even if you have to use just a black sheet of card or a curtain. Take your time and have your assistant do the lining of the actors.

Do your best not to show pictures with the subjects looking of stage unless when it happens it completes an idea or the composition. We want to see the actors. If we can't then don't show it. Each perfect picture enhances your reputation with the parents. Each questionable picture raises doubts. You, yourself must throw away your darlings! It's you who haa to look at the images after ingestion to the hard drive and mark everything that you cannot be proud of and delete them. It's so painful. I wouldn't dream of saying this and sounding so harsh if I hadn't seen the picture of the "Jeunnes Filles"

If you push the producer and yourself you will be selling your pictures and have a tax deduction to boot!

Asher