• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge:Religious Architecture, forms & statuary: Houston's Co-Cathedral

Houston has a brand new Co-Cathedral that opened in April. http://www.sacredhearthouston.org/history.htm
It is really a spectacular place with beauty everywhere, especially in the imported statuary and stained glass. My wife and I went this morning for the first time with the hopes of getting some photographs. When we arrived, they were just preparing to start a special holiday mass so we sat down and joined in. She is Catholic by the way and I am not but I have been around the church all of my life through a step grandfather of mine. I just have not attended any services in a long time. It was a truly nice change of pace for me and after the week I had at my job, the respite was greatly appreciated.

Because of the holiday however, their hours were short and they were not allowing people in just to view the new building. That was a bummer. The place is so wonderful and it just screams for the treatment of a Nikon D3. I was able to snap a few quick photos before we were ushered out. I had the D3 on auto ISO and aperture priority. This first one ended up at ISO 5600, 1/250 sec exposure, f/8 at 26mm on my 24-70mm f/2.8 lens. I could kick myself for not checking the settings on my camera more closely before going in. I still had it on -1 EV from a previous use and did not realize it. I also had the minimum shutter speed for the auto ISO set too high I believe. I think if I had set it a bit slower, I could still have handheld and gotten some better shots with less grain. Nevertheless, this is a far cry better than anything my D200 could have produced under the same conditions. It only keeps getting better and I am loving it more each time I use it.

The second is one of the statues that are simply stunning. It is hard to tell in this picture really but it is huge...probably 20 feet tall or maybe more. It is suspended from behind out away from the wall so it looks to be floating on air.

0703_cathedral_4882.jpg

0703_cathedral_4892.jpg

Hi,

Second picture is really surprinsing, statue seems to be floating...
Beautiful contrast between gold area and white and sweet material of the statue.