• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Capture NX + Elements 6

doug anderson

Okay, folks, from what I understand NX doesn't have a cloning tool and I can't process RAW on Elements. So, what I'm going to do is process the RAW on NX, convert to JPEG and do whatever else I need to do on Elements. I'm assuming I can do this, right?

Tell me if I'm dreaming....

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Doug

StuartRae

Hi Doug,

Why can't you open a raw file in Elements? Is it because ACR doesn't support your camera? If it doesn't you can always convert to DNG first and then open that using ACR in Elements.

Theoretically it would be safer to convert to TIFF rather than JPEG. However, if you only do minor local edits, don't re-size and save at the same quality level as the original then only a few quantisation blocks will be affected and JPEG is probably OK.

Regards,

Stuart

doug anderson

Hi Doug,

Why can't you open a raw file in Elements? Is it because ACR doesn't support your camera? If it doesn't you can always convert to DNG first and then open that using ACR in Elements.

Theoretically it would be safer to convert to TIFF rather than JPEG. However, if you only do minor local edits, don't re-size and save at the same quality level as the original then only a few quantisation blocks will be affected and JPEG is probably OK.

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart: I tried to send my RAW stuff to Elements, and got a message saying it didn't recognize the file type. Then I sent to Capture NX, saved it as TIFF, and it transferred to Elements just fine.

I don't know why ACR wouldn't support a Nikon D300. Maybe I need an update or something. I'm not sure, by the way, what ACR and DNG are. I am very very new at this and need a Dummies guide.

Thanks for your help.

Doug

StuartRae

Hi Doug,

ACR (Adobe Camera Raw) is a plugin that enables Photoshop and Elements to open raw files.

The plugin is called Camera Raw.8bi and should be in Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

You also need to disable the Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi plugin which is installed at the same time as Capture NX as it overrides the Adobe one. Just rename it be putting a ~ in front of the name.

You can download the latest version of ACR for PSE6 from here

Once it's installed in the correct folder and the Nikon plugin has been put down, you should just be able to use File | Open in Elements.

Hope this helps :)

Stuart

doug anderson

Stuart: I downloaded the plug in and was able to import RAW photos into Elements. Then I uninstalled all the Nikon Capture Software and I could notimport RAW Photos into Elements.

?

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,

The removal of Capture NX has probably also deleted the "Camera Raw.8bi" in "Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 6.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats", try copying it back to that directory location again.

HTH,

StuartRae

Doug,

You needn't have uninstalled all the Nikon Capture software, just removed or renamed the .8bi plugin. The reason you were able to open raw files is that it was the Nikon plugin that was doing it. If that was good enough for your purposes then just re-install Capture NX. However I believe that ACR gives you more features.

The download of ACR is a zip file. You have to unzip it and manually extract or copy the Camera Raw.8bi to the correct directory. There isn't an automatic install for it.

You're very welcome to PM me if you want details of how to do it.

Regards,

Stuart

doug anderson

Doug,

You shouldn't have uninstalled all the Nikon Capture software, just removed or renamed the .8bi plugin. The reason you were able to open raw files is that it was the Nikon plugin that was doing it.

The download of ACR is a zip file. You have to unzip it and manually extract or copy the Camera Raw.8bi to the correct directory. There isn't an automatic install for it.

You're very welcome to PM me if you want details of how to do it.

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart: I have installed the plugin according to the read me file I got with it. Unfortunately, I reinstalled Capture NX also, because I was trying to extract my mistake.

Now, how do I disable Capture NX without messing things up?

I appreciate your patience, by the way. I am not a computer whiz.

Best,

Doug

StuartRae

Hi Doug,

Stuart: I have installed the plugin according to the read me file I got with it. Unfortunately, I reinstalled Capture NX also...

If you've done that you should have both "Nikon NEF Plugin.8bi" and "Camera Raw.8bi" in the File Formats folder.

Either click on the Nikon one and press the Delete key, or right click, select Rename and change the ".8bi" to "old" - anything really just as long as PSE doesn't recognise it as a plugin.

I am not a computer whiz.

I'm fine with computers, but give me a block of wood and a chisel and all I can make is a pile of wood shavings. Each to his own :)

Regards,

Stuart