• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Red Shouldered Hawk Inflight

Eric Diller

New to the forum, hope I have all the rules down!! Here is a Red Shouldered hawk from our local Wetlands...

P.s. How many pics can you post in a thread? Thanks Eric

ECD_3016.jpg

ECD_3017.jpg

Welcome to OPF, Eric. These images are quite an introduction!!

Both are well executed, with great detail and sharpness. Very little to critique.

Generally speaking, it's best to post a single image per thread, providing details on how the shot was obtained (in terms of gear, settings, any particular post-processing, etc.), the circumstances, location, etc.

In addition, if there are any specific issues you want addressed in the post, it's very helpful to mention them (e.g. how could I have done this or that better or different, questions about composition, or whatever you want input on).

Excellent images!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Eric,

Again, a huge welcome. Presenting the beauty of these birds is a great way to fly in to OPF! I wonder, BTW, how the birds control the up position of the end feather of the wing. I gues it's one of the lateral digits.

I like it when there's an introduction telling us about the preparation for the shoot, habits of the bird (is this a predictable flight path on an air stream from a mountain or water?) so how did this influence your shot. Again your choice of gear and technic is a great gift to those who's like to go beyond enjoying your work to emulating such shots.

As Don has pointed out, we like to have one imaging idea. You can post up to 4 related pictures. If you feel it's best shown with several pictures, so be it. Just we get stymied in responding when pictures are unrelated, like two different species or situations. When that happens, folk don't know how to proceed with feedback. However, here, we're delighted to see both these pictures and want more!

I would add to Don's remarks a commendation on you not having over-sharpened the feathers! It's so easy to do. One thing I'd ask if if you removed branches or clouds that might make the picture more complete by giving some reference points. We don't see a lot of that these days.

Asher

Gary Ayala

Welcome aboard Eric ... your two images makes one hell of an introduction. Not being a birder or nature photog I am always impressed and amazed at images equal to what you've posted. Personally, I prefer the second to the first photo ... the wingtips and eye contact are very nice.

Gary