• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Spiky Flower Macro

Josh Blackwood

This was shot with my old Canon P&S, at settings unknown to me at the moment. I could look up the EXIF upon request, though. I'd like some opinions/critique, mainly on composition and possible cropping methods.

(click on the thumbnail for full-size image—it's quite large)

Also, if anybody knows what type of flower this is, please speak up; I neglected to pay attention to the little plaque when I got the shot. This was taken in the butterfly sanctuary at Callaway Gardens.

Thanks!

Josh

Last edited:

janet Smith

pro member
Also, if anybody knows what type of flower this is, please speak up

Hi Josh

AFAIK this is a Calliandra, common name "powder-puff tree", you asked for critique, so I woud say that I would have used a slightly wider aperture to create more separation from it's background and would lose some of the area to the LHS, hope this helps....

... I would have used a slightly wider aperture to create more separation from it's background and would lose some of the area to the LHS, hope this helps....

I agree.

And as a general remark, one can always take an additional shot from the same position either with a very wide aperture, or even a much closer focus position, and use that to replace the actual shot's background in postprocessing. That could help to overcome the eternal battle between narrow subject DOF and distracting backgrounds. As an alternative, one can use the Photoshop Lens blur filter.

Bart

Josh Blackwood

Hi Josh

AFAIK this is a Calliandra, common name "powder-puff tree", you asked for critique, so I woud say that I would have used a slightly wider aperture to create more separation from it's background and would lose some of the area to the LHS, hope this helps....

Thanks, Janet! Both for the identification of the flower and the critique. I'll take tat into account the next chance I get to photograph it, this time with my Nikon D40.

I agree.

And as a general remark, one can always take an additional shot from the same position either with a very wide aperture, or even a much closer focus position, and use that to replace the actual shot's background in postprocessing. That could help to overcome the eternal battle between narrow subject DOF and distracting backgrounds. As an alternative, one can use the Photoshop Lens blur filter.

Bart

Good ideas, Bart! I may just give the Photoshop alternative a try in the meantime.

Thanks,

~Josh

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
So Josh,

Any more from that shoot. You can use a larger image. It makes the page immediately impressive!,

Asher

Josh Blackwood

As a matter of fact, Asher, I do have another couple shots here. The reason I'm posting a thumbnail is the image is large enough to seriously stretch the page and make it slow to load, and I don't have a reduced-size version handy to upload, but if you click the thumbnail it will take you to the larger image.

Note that both of these were taken with a Canon A560 P&S camera. These were taken at the butterfly sanctuary at Callaway Gardens; lovely place for photography!

Thanks for looking!

~Josh