• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Canon G9 Point and Shoot

doug anderson

I've been looking for a point and shoot to carry in my pocket. The Canon G9 has 12.2 megpixels and is supposed to be pretty good. Anybody have any experience with this camera? How about the lens?

Thanks,

D

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Doug,

A short answer: I have it and it is an excellent camera. When shooting at or below ISO 200, it delivers stunning results. ISO 400/800 have quite some noise but can be dealt with. ISO 1600 is not much of a use unless you are shooting B&W and don't mind creating that grainy look.

The lens is very good in my experience, but one might want to buy a x0.66 converter for the wide end. I did not miss not having it so far. The zoom range is the equivalent of +/- 38-200 mm.

Especially, the availability of many separate buttons such as changing the ISO and the custom settings make this camera very usable for control freaks like myself.

Do you want to see some samples? If so, what kind of images you are interested in?

Cheers,

doug anderson

Hi Doug,

Do you want to see some samples? If so, what kind of images you are interested in?

Cheers,

I'd love to see some samples, Cem. One of people fairly close, one at the far end of the zoom (any subject) and one of close up (any subject)

Thanks for your quick response.

Doug

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Search here and you should find quite a bit of opinion on the G9, mostly good. I've used it since it was introduced. It's a terrific camera, uncommonly good for such a small sensor camera . Period.

But the Canon Powershot G9 does not exist any more. You may be able to find one in back-stock some place but the camera was discontinued this month, presumably in preparation for a successor to be announced at Photokina.

Cem_Usakligil

G9 samples (part1)

Hi Doug,

As promised, here are some samples from the G9 which is being used by my 15-year old daughter. All these pictures were taken by her during our holiday in America a month ago.

I have chosen a mixed bag to show how the camera performs under different circumstances.

1: ISO100, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f3.2, 1/30 sec
G9_Samples-8.jpg

2: ISO200, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f3.2, 1/1000 sec
G9_Samples-5.jpg

3: ISO100, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f4.0, 1/640 sec
G9_Samples-1.jpg

4: ISO100, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f4.0, 1/640 sec
G9_Samples-2.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

G9 Samples (part 2)

5: ISO100, 16.8 mm (76.5 mm equiv.), f4.0, 1/1250 sec
G9_Samples-3.jpg

6: ISO100, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f3.2, 1/1250 sec, MACRO
G9_Samples-6.jpg

7: ISO200, 44.4 mm (202 mm equiv.), f4.8, 1/500 sec
G9_Samples-4.jpg

8: ISO200, 44.4 mm (202 mm equiv.), f4.8, 1/60 sec
G9_Samples-7.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

G9 Samples 100% Crops (part 1)

Straight conversion from RAW, all AWB, no sharpening, etc.

1: ISO100, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f3.2, 1/30 sec
G9_Samples_crop-8.jpg

2: ISO200, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f3.2, 1/1000 sec
G9_Samples_crop-5.jpg

3: ISO100, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f4.0, 1/640 sec
G9_Samples_crop-1.jpg

4: ISO100, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f4.0, 1/640 sec
G9_Samples_crop-2.jpg

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

G9 Samples 100% Crops (part 2)

Straight conversion from RAW, all AWB, no sharpening, etc.

5: ISO100, 16.8 mm (76.5 mm equiv.), f4.0, 1/1250 sec
G9_Samples_crop-3.jpg

6: ISO100, 7.4 mm (34 mm equiv.), f3.2, 1/1250 sec, MACRO
G9_Samples_crop-6.jpg

7: ISO200, 44.4 mm (202 mm equiv.), f4.8, 1/500 sec
G9_Samples_crop-4.jpg

8: ISO200, 44.4 mm (202 mm equiv.), f4.8, 1/60 sec
G9_Samples_crop-7.jpg

Last edited:

doug anderson

Thanks, Cem. The noise is apparent in the crops. That shot of Venice Beach makes me nostalgic. I've shot thousands of photos there, all on film. Some day I'll get around to scanning some.

D

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks, Cem. The noise is apparent in the crops. That shot of Venice Beach makes me nostalgic. I've shot thousands of photos there, all on film. Some day I'll get around to scanning some.

D
Yes, of course one sees a lot of noise looking at the crops. That's why I included them. But considering the fact that this is a tiny sensor with 4000x3000 pixels, it is more than acceptable. If you look at the pictures at normal size or on print up to A3 size, I have found out that this noise is not an issue.

Cheers,

doug anderson

Yes, of course one sees a lot of noise looking at the crops. That's why I included them. But considering the fact that this is a tiny sensor with 4000x3000 pixels, it is more than acceptable. If you look at the pictures at normal size or on print up to A3 size, I have found out that this noise is not an issue.

Cheers,

Thanks. If I keep cropping, I can get noise on my D300 too.

My G9 usually is not pocketable, but it can be within a couple of seconds. That to me makes the G9 an ideal companion. Usually mine has a manfrotto modopocket attached to its base (still pocketable) and a lensmate adaptor for uv/pola or IR filter as well as a 0.66x wide angle. Screw everything off and it still goes in the original underwater housing.

Had it with me on a recent holiday and it gave excellent results.

Martin