• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

On the fence....

janet Smith

pro member
IMG_0140SS.jpg

5D 100mm macro lens f11 1/125 ISO 200

IMG_0033SS001.jpg

f8 1/100 ISO 100

Yesterday was the first sunny day we've had for ages, it's been torrential rain for weeks and everywhere is saturated resulting in loads of dragonflies, these are the first dragonfly shots I've ever managed to get, hopefully if we get some more sun in the next few days I'll be able to try again. Let me know what you think and any advise please, they're certainly a difficult subject never staying still for more than a second or two.

Hi Jan,

I know that feeling, trapped after a week of rain. Desperation. It lowers the bar, so far as photography is concerned. There is a complusion to get out there and shoot.

As you know, whatever expertise that I have is not in macro photography. Nevertheless, I have an opinion and I am all too ready to share it. If you are photographing dragonflies, the composition should feature the fly to the exclusion of all else. In these examples, the out of focus foreground is a distraction and the drgonfly details are hard to see. So, I say, move in closer or do a lot of cropping. It's the pose and the lighting that will make or break these fly photos.

Best,

-Nat

janet Smith

pro member
I know that feeling, trapped after a week of rain. Desperation. It lowers the bar, so far as photography is concerned. There is a complusion to get out there and shoot

Hi Nat

LOL you got my feeling exactly! yes I was absolutely desperate to get outside with my camera in my hand, especially after being stuck inside decorating covered in paint most of last week!

Anyway, back to the dragonflies, I am in awe of photographers who manage to get wonderful images of these difficult critters. They're fascinating and beautiful insects, but they really deserve their name "Darters" and yes you're right I wish I could have got closer in, but every time I got nearer they flew! Well I'll just have to keep trying, I have some more shots to go through if I get time later today or tomorrow, I may post a few more if there's anything any better, thanks for commenting... Back to the decorating (sigh)

janet Smith

pro member
I think the first one is very good, even if my short-sighted wife thinks you photoshopped a smile onto the male.

Thanks Clayton, how funny, he really did look to be smiling - no photoshop involved, it's even more obvious on some of the other shots, he was obviously enjoying himself!

Here's a couple more...
IMG_0147SS.jpg

Do you think this one is better than the similar one above?

IMG_0100SS.jpg

This is for Clayton, I know it's not sharp, but it shows his "smile"

Last edited: