• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sandy Hook, New Jersey

Alex Furbush

Two weekends ago I went to Sandy Hook National Park in the eatern Atlantic Highlands - New Jersey, so here are 2 of my most favorite shots from the trip. The second image looks out onto the Brooklyn skyline.

SandsAndDunes.jpg

CityBeyondTheHook.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Hello Alex,
Let's leave technical aspects aside for at least a moment.

Why are these two images among your favorites of the presumably large number of shots you took? I'm always curious to learn how we make such choices, particularly among our own snaps.

Alex Furbush

Hi. The reason these two of my favorites is because I really like the way the sand and the grass meet halfway in the first image, and it was so clear and I think it came out well. I'm not saying it is great because I am SURE there are technical photographic flaws but I simply like the serene feel of the first image. As for the second, I was in complete awe when I stood there looking over at the New York skyline and knew I had to get a picture of that, so what I enjoy most of this image was the clouds that dotted the sky stretching out to beyond the horizon of the city!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Alex,

First, a framework for what we say. In OPF were eschew, as far as we can, simplistic "Wows!" I myself fail right there, but try not too! So, I'm sure you will welcome that. Some remarks might be tough but they will always be considerate. That's OPF!

Your starting vision depended on you "being there", getting inspired and driven to somehow be able to get that experience into a picture. That then hopefully might serve as a vehicle to put us where you were, enthralled! That's a tall order, indeed and separates "snapshots" from the fine photograph. It's not at all easy! We did not have the fresh sea air in our face. We can't smell that nature or see the shadows change with time on the sand or buildings shimmering in the distance.

When the picture is prepared for us, it has to cheat and make us fully moved with just what can be shown in two dimensions with shape, texture, light and dark and some array of color perhaps. There might be mystery, a unique shape or pattern, some dynamic sense of movement or all of these. So we might look to see what if anything might be discovered in your files that would allow your two dimensional record to get more significance for those of us who where not with you. Now we could simply add a flock of pelicans or a children doing handstands or an old piece of driftwood with fascinating shadows. That might not be what you want at all. Can we do anything more with the photographs? As limited as they, can we bring out magic within. Is the picture dead or sleeping? Can we breathe life into it? I'm not sure whether this effort is worthy or not. It would be easy to dismiss it. However it is a challenge. If your files are robust we get some surprises.

So do you have the original files that you could provide so we can at least make one try to explore how these two visions, (as you have stated) might be more effectively expressed with what you have.

One major problem is that we were not there and although what the camera records might very well look to like all the magic you saw, that's in great part because you have a library of great memories. After all, you were moved then and your images now readily re-invoke what you saw.

For others, however, there's more of a challenge. We need to be helped. So that is what we should explore by altering how each component of light and shade, hue and saturation and perceived clarity and sharpness might be modified for this purpose. I am not at all sure that we even have any chance of bring to measure of excitement that you enjoyed. This picture may just be a useful snap shot. I think it is and can be more.

Is there a main place that the eye is driven towards? Is it clean and clear? Is there any commanding movement or arresting beauty? There needs to be something magnetic for the naive observer to be stopped in their tracks and brought into your scene. So that is far greater a challenge than just an aid memoire.

If you like, you can send me pictures for free to yourself using http://www.you sendit.com and then post the URL of the picture files for us to download. You may have to send one picture at a time. We may be able to make something more of both pictures. Let's try.

If anyone has comparable shots with design that is stronger, let's see that too.

Asher

Ken Tanaka

pro member
Alex; Thanks for your commentary regarding why you're keen on these images.

You've not asked for any guidance or feedback so I'll assume that your main objective in posting these images is to just share them? As Asher noted, folks here tend to offer what they're asked. Many of the members here are professionals and/or are very experienced and accomplished old coots. So we really don't tend to mindlessly laud work just for feel-goods.

I do, however, feel compelled to note that it looks like something funky's going on with your lens and/or camera, particularly that first image. There is an unusual magenta cast vignette in the corners that really shouldn't be there. Both images have a rather veiled and off-color appearance that I don't believe represents your intentions.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. BTW, if you really do want us to discuss these images further and deeper just say so.

Asher Kelman

I have located the camera used here. It's a 2MP f 2.8 digicam by Oregan Scientific DS6200 digicam, here.

410JHPN2W7L._SS500_.jpg

I'm not surprised at the vignetting and color issues. so that is just part of the character of the shot that this camera will yield. Still, one can do well with 2MP. The Mars rover has 1MP!

Pictures from this camera need some adjustments to bring out the potential image quality possible with this. It requires correcting the shaded periphery, correcting the color disparities across the entire field and increasing the contrast. None of this is an issue that's insurmountable. However, one starts without the easy benefits of competent processing. Still, one can be creative with what one has.

Asher

Ivan Garcia

Actually Asher.
The chip manufacturer is Zoran Corporation and the camera (according to the image data) is equipped with a COACH 10 processor.
the Web page can be found Here.
As you can see on the features tab this is, by any standards, a Canon 1Ds MKII competitor.

Asher Kelman

Ivan,

This digicam has at best entry level coach 10s! A 1Ds compitotor? Was your 1DsII that bad? This is a very limted entry level camera.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Alex,

I have tackles the first picture with view to seeing whether or not there are ingredients I would like. I have briefly adjust the image for hue and contrast and then used an adaptive equalization filter (Reindeer Graphics, free download) to give some tonal structure.

SandsAndDunes-AK copy.jpg

© Alex Furbush Edited by A.K.

So what do you think?

Asher

Alex Furbush

I hope I reply to everything here, sorry if I don't (also sorry I haven't made my pics available for download yet; I'll try to do that in the morning). First off, I too noticed the purple'ish coloring near the edges on that first image. Also several others of the 123 I took have it. I just deemed it yet another flaw of Oregon Scientific's camera quality! Ken: You are quite welcome! And yes, something funky IS going on with the camera, but I don't have to worry - Friday I will have a Nikon D40. Also there's no need to discuss the images deeper since I only intended these 2 pictures, among the others, to be snapshots for memory's sake. Just thought I'd post them to make sure they weren't so bad that people would post right out and say so haha! Asher: The edited image looks somewhat clearer than the original, if you notice the original is a bit cloudy in the center. Not sure why but oh well. I like the edited version, seems to be more.......I'm dunno a word for it (help!) lol.

Asher Kelman

Hi Alex,

My aim was to bring out, albeit in an artistic way, with cropping and editing, the sense of what you might have been feeling. That I could even think I might step in your shoes is too hopeful, yet that was by attempt. What you see is the result of some simple photoshop S-curves. If you don't know what that means then look look on the Adobe website for a tutorial. If you can't find anything let us know.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Sometimes, with some work and little knowledge of CS editing, one can bring a pict back to life… Hereunder is just a fast demo of what can be done...
Can you imagine if the pict had been shot raw? Never trust in camera JPEGs!

Below: before
SandsAndDunes.jpg

Above: after

Asher Kelman

Sometimes, with some work and little knowledge of CS editing, one can bring a pict back to life… Hereunder is just a fast demo of what can be done...
Can you imagine if the pict had been shot raw? Never trust in camera JPEGs!
Hi Nicolas,

You did well in CS. Mine was in Photoshop 7 on the kitchen computer! So how did you deal with the vignetting and uneven chromatic weird distributions?

Asher

fahim mohammed

What was the name of that guy who published a book on his cell phone photos of journey
across the US? excellent compilation too.

making the best of what you have is one of the greatest assets one can possess. if the vision is there
the D40 will only make it easier to realize.

Best of luck with your new camera!

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Alex,
digital photography age does bring any photog into the lab himself…
No red light anymore! no locked door!
Your computer and some editing softwares… Photoshop is th most popular and probably the most expensive, but you'll be able to find some other ones cheaper (though you may find still useful previous versions of PS for less money…)
I am part of the guys who thinks that the best is to have it all in the box before processing raw files, but there are always more or less post production to do on our files… (at least some color control, noise reduction and sharpness…

Asher
the edit could have been done in PS7… only some vignette correction thru filter/deformation/lens
then some masking for selective color editing and of course some sharpness at the very end…
Plus… a very small ounce of a secret receipe learned from Georg… but this one I promised to shhhhhhhhhhhhhh… ;-)