• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Cherelle

Model : Cherelle.

Cherelle_30_augustus_2008_%286_of_10%29.jpg

Cherelle_30_augustus_2008_%289_of_10%29.jpg

Greetings,
Frank

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Frank,

What a good sight to wake up to and then the second is great entertainment.

In the first, how do you do your B&W conversions? simple convert to grayscale, probably not, or a layer of Hue Sat and then Channels. Maybe you use a favorite recipe or this is Lightroom.

BTW, if the second picture was to be for fashion, then I'd lighten the top of her dress a little. Otherwise I love it!

Thanks for posting,

Asher

Hi,
These were actually shot during a workshop so no fashion :)

The first one is a lab conversion with grain added.
Actually not so difficult, getting the right ammount of grain is different.

fahim mohammed

Frank,

The BW is lovely. Very well done. I like intimate photos as if you are having a conversation.
I can almost hear you direct the beautiful lady to move her head/neck/hand...

#2 is distant..stage managed. she has to it. Technically a good capture...more from mortal combat, then the soft,seductive,intimate capture in #1.

But then again, what do I know about women.

My analogy...#1, my MP..quiet,seductive,feel it there,pure silk..#2 D300..active,vibrant, ready for
action, take 'em on!

Regards.

Convert to lab and throw away the A and B channel and tweak the lightness.

While that will give a very useful luminance rendering, it also loses the potential power of 'filtering' after-the-fact. I like the possibility to apply a color filter in postprocessing, instead of when shooting, to adjust the color contrasts in an achromatic image.

One interactive way of selectively changing contrast, besides simple channel mixing, is offered by the use of an RGB image, with the per channel color saturation reduced to zero. Not only can it reduce monochrome noise (by mixing the noise of 3 channels), it also allows to tweak the lightness of the color channels, which e.g. allows to change the 'blue' of the sky or the darkness of the (Caucasian) skin without changing the rest of the image as much. In Photosop one typically uses the Hue/Saturation adjustment dialog, in Lightroom one just drags the intended tone up or down in the image itself (which is even easier).

Bart

Hue saturation is one of the methods I don't like.

The channel mixer
Lab channels
OR
in PSCS3 simply the convert to B&W gives you better results.
The convert to B&W also gives you mix options.

I use all but this time it was Lab :D