• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

DNG Converter -profiles?

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Hi,

When I convert RAW files using DNG Converter does in include the profiles for that specific camera within the DNG so that older versions of ACR can process the colour correctly?

When I convert RAW files using DNG Converter does in include the profiles for that specific camera within the DNG so that older versions of ACR can process the colour correctly?

Have you checked the metadata for the file in Bridge? Does it list the camera make? Not using DNGs (except conversion to validate my uploads from the camera) I do not have any lying about to check. But a quick look at the DNG Specification on page 18 yields:

UniqueCameraModel
Tag: 50708 (C614.H)
Type: ASCII
Count: String length including null
Value: Null terminated string
Default: Required tag
Usage: IFD 0
Description
UniqueCameraModel defines a unique, non-localized name for the camera model that created the image in the raw file. This name should include the manufacturer's name to avoid conflicts, and should not be localized, even if the camera name itself is localized for different markets (see LocalizedCameraModel).

This string may be used by reader software to index into per-model preferences and replacement profiles.

Examples of unique model names are:
•"Canon EOS 300D"
•"Fujifilm FinePix S2Pro"
•"Kodak ProBack645"
•"Minolta DiMAGE A1"
•"Nikon D1X"
•"Olympus C-5050Z"
•"Pentax *istD"
•"Sony F828"
From this we know that the DNG converter places this info in the DNG file if all goes correctly. But this does not tell us if this data is related to conversion parameters. More reading of the standard and some experiments would be the best way to tell this.

a start,

Sean