• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Comparison of the Canon 5d to the 50d

Rachel Foster

I didn't see a thread addressing this directly (please point me in that direction if already discussed). What is the general consensus of the 5d vs the 50d?

Mike Shimwell

Hi Rachel,

I see no one has managed to address this yet.

The answer, I suspect lies in what you want. The 50D has a smaller sensor, so you'll have a narrower field of view for any given lens. The 5D a larger sensor (avoiding the potentially inflamatory 'full frame') so if you have any ef-s lenses they won't fit or work on a 5D. A new 50D will have a warranty, higher frame rates and may have better af than a secondhand 5D.

In terms of 'image quality', there isn't really enough information out there yet, but I didn't feel that the 50D sample images put online by Canon showed an advance over the 5D (I could be wrong though).

Mike

Rachel Foster

Oh no! I do believe I have ef-s lenses (a 55-250 IS; 60mm macro; 50 1.8 --- hoping soon to move up to a 50 1.4). The 24 105 is l series so it will fit.

I think the 5d just took a header.

Mike Shimwell

Hi Rachel

The 50 1.8 and 50 1.4 will both be fine, as will the 24-105 (the 5D and 24-105 are perfect partners) the 60 macro is an ef-s lens and so won't work (it's equivalent to the 100mm 2.8 macro) and I'm not sure about the 55-250.

Mike