• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Sample video from the 5DMarkII

Anil Mungal

Vincent Laforet has posted his video he shot with the 5DMarkII. You can see it on his blog.

The quality of the video image is really good considering the lighting in some of the night scenes. I am guessing that the main drawback is getting good audio from the camera body. With that in mind, I figure this feature would be a useful tool for quickie summary videos of events where you can overlay a prerecorded audio track in post processing, similar in style to a music video. Definitely not a 100% substitute for a video camera, but a step in that direction.

The quality of the video image is really good considering the lighting in some of the night scenes. I am guessing that the main drawback is getting good audio from the camera body. With that in mind, I figure this feature would be a useful tool for quickie summary videos of events where you can overlay a prerecorded audio track in post processing, similar in style to a music video. Definitely not a 100% substitute for a video camera, but a step in that direction.

Although not for me, I'm more into stills rather than movies, there are some interesting aspects to the feature.

Quality sound requires quality recording equipment, which means dedicated (stereo) microphones for the sound spectrum and dynamic range required, coupled with quality (pre-)amplifiers and high sampling and bit rates. Seen in that light, I agree that the onboard sound capabilities are only adequate for average/good sound which is probably okay for most users.

The most interesting difference with most dedicated video cameras, is the size of the CMOS sensor and the potential quality (and wide apertures) of the available lenses. This will allow superior shallow DOF, compared to conventional offerings.

Bart

Except for the audio capability, I am really curious about the 5DM2 because it reads like it will have better video image quality then my XL-2 does. If nothing else I won't need an adapter between the camera and the lenses and for a lot of my rare videos I don't need good audio. Handy that as I am really not very good at getting good audio.