• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

5D mk ii --- is here!

I held one in my hands today at Photoplus in New York. It's compact and snappy, but all new DSLRs feel like plastic toys to me, even if they have 21 Mpix and cost $2700. I'm a manual focus type of person, and I can't stand the way the focus ring feels on an EOS lens, BUT, I also went over to the Zeiss booth and took a look at the new EF mount lenses. They only had a mockup of the 50/1.4 Planar, but they had a working version of the 85mm, and it looks like a fantastic lens. You can expect any modern lens of this focal length to be sharp, but the Zeiss also has very smooth out of focus rendering. So I'll be looking pretty seriously at the new 5D when it comes out.

I need to replace my scanner, and a 21 Mpix camera, particularly with the possibility of stitching, offers the potential of lots of resolution for digitizing images using a copy stand, which I generally prefer as a way of working to scanning. I'm still mainly oriented toward film and traditional processes and don't see that changing any time soon, but there are a few areas where it makes sense for me to shoot digital (like bird photography, particularly with the option of shooting HD video and stills simultaneously), and it looks like this is the right camera at the right price to make that move.

This one is 14mp ... (3.8 x 2.1 x 1 in) and 179 g you can save a lot with this over the Mamiya too, just extrapolate a bit and you get to the magic 22MP...

panasonic_dmcfx150.gif