• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

West Kennet Long Barrow

StuartRae

I had a drive over to West Kennet this morning - hadn't been there for about 30 years.

I'd been beaten to it by a coach of American tourists and two parties of school kids (why the **** aren't they in school?), and I had to wait about 3/4 hour until they'd all buggered off. I was going to visit Avebury as well, but guess who'd got there before me......................

"The tomb is thought to have been constructed around 3500BC, and was in use for a thousand years, until 2200BC, when the tomb was sealed with chalk rubble, and the gigantic sarcen boulders that now guard the entrance." (credit http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk).

I had real trouble with the entrance - bright sunlight on the exterior rocks and the dark interior. In the end I used a bit of fill flash and in PP feathered an oval mask to cut out the blown rocks.

EOS 350D, EF-S 17-85 IS, hand held. (I shall re-visit with tripod to get interior shots). C&C and insults very welcome.

WK-1.jpg

WK-3.jpg

WK-4.jpg

Regards,

Stuart

Cem_Usakligil

I had a drive over to West Kennet this morning - hadn't been there for about 30 years.

I'd been beaten to it by a coach of American tourists and two parties of school kids (why the **** aren't they in school?), and I had to wait about 3/4 hour until they'd all buggered off. I was going to visit Avebury as well, but guess who'd got there before me......................

"The tomb is thought to have been constructed around 3500BC, and was in use for a thousand years, until 2200BC, when the tomb was sealed with chalk rubble, and the gigantic sarcen boulders that now guard the entrance." (credit http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk).

I had real trouble with the entrance - bright sunlight on the exterior rocks and the dark interior. In the end I used a bit of fill flash and in PP feathered an oval mask to cut out the blown rocks.

EOS 350D, EF-S 17-85 IS, hand held. (I shall re-visit with tripod to get interior shots). C&C and insults very welcome.
LOL, let me start by insulting the tourism industry. I have the feeling that there is no place left on earth where you don't bump into a group of tourists. As for the school children, they are supposedly learning. Nevertheless, I feel your pain having been in the same situation many times before.

Although "shaken", I like the tunnel picture actually. The other two are OK, but the light is too uniform and harsh, and the skies are dull. I guess the timing was less then ideal.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,