• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Air & Space Museum

Wendy Thurman

This image was made at the Smithsonian's Dulles Airport Air & Space Museum. The venue is a difficult one- although the building is large, there are a lot of aircraft in the building which makes it difficult to get an uncluttered composition. This shot of the Enola Gay was made on a Nikon D700 with the 14-24/2.8 @ISO 3200 and has not been manipulated at all, merely resized and converted to jpeg from raw with Capture NX2. Lighting in the building is difficult to work with and using a flash on a highly polished aluminum surface wouldn't work at all. I have just recently gotten the camera and this is one of the first images I've made with it- testing continues :)

I'm back in the Middle East now and hope to have some new images up soon.

Thanks,

Wendy

enola_gay.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wendy,

This is exquisite! But where does the golden light come from? Is that as the plane was or did they re-plate it to look glamorous?

Asher

Wendy Thurman

Wendy,

This is exquisite! But where does the golden light come from? Is that as the plane was or did they re-plate it to look glamorous?

Asher

I imagine that this is as the aircraft was- cleaned up, restored, and polished, but original. Unfortunately the name "Enola Gay" is on the opposite side of the aircraft but I couldn't have gotten a favorable composition from that angle.

I believe the B-29 was one of the first pressurized aircraft and so was designed to fly at altitudes where camouflage would have been superfluous. I am fairly confident this museum restoration is how the plane would have looked in 1945 on that fateful day it flew over Hiroshima.

Wendy

Will Thompson

Well Known Member
Hi Wendy!

I love the reflection in/on the airplane.

Can you find your own reflection, kinda like where is waldo on the airplane?