• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Girls Soccer (last reg season game)

Jeff Mims

Next week, playoffs...
But I got to shoot a game today. I almost shot RAW again, but went with jpg. What I discovered..is it's a lot easier in post with RAW, IMHO.
Anyway, here's a few shots.
104002452.jpg

104002445.jpg

104002447.jpg

104002454.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jeff,

These are great kids! Sports can bring out some of the best characteristic of people and here these girls really put everything into the game. It makes me optimistic in spite of the screw ups around them. How can we prolong this? If we knew the answer......

Asher

Nill Toulme

These are some of your best images yet Jeff in terms of timing and framing. But you've changed something in your processing. The image quality of your earlier shots was remarkably natural; these in comparison seem over-processed — too much sharpening on the one hand (halos, most notably in the first shot), and the appearance of heavy noise reduction ("plasticky") on the other. What's up with that?

Nill

Jeff Mims

JPG...
didn't shoot RAW this time.
I like RAW better, but am not comfortable enough (speed/time wise) to go full time RAW.
After yesterday, I may reconsider. There's so much more leeway in post processing with RAW.
As I've found out.
Appreciate your comments...I really do. I will keep working.

Asher Kelman

Jeff,

I would like to know the reaction of the players to these pictures! I'm impressed. These, as Nill remarks, are evidence of an evolution of your work and perhaps you are getting to track the players and mentally estimate peak actions better. In any case, I'd be proud either as the photographer or player! As a parent I'd be delighted. As a an elderly grandmother in a nursing home, I'd be showing off the pictures to anyone who could still see and breathe!

Are these part of a contract with the team or as a parent? How do you handle sales?

Asher

Nill Toulme

Note that you can tweak the jpg settings of your camera to get more of the look that you want. You might also try shooting RAW + jpg for a while till you decide which way to go.

Nill

Asher Kelman

EXIF data stripped and who fills up © and license fields in the IPTC code?

Hi Jeff,

I looked at the files to see the EXIF information. It's not always there or incomplete! How come? What are you doing to simple jpgs such that you lose this data? In the first picture it says 300mm lens and f2.8 but no shutter speed! With the last image, no such info at all; zero!

Also you have not added you © info and licensing statement to the IPTC code. Your pictures might one day be very valuable. It might seem a very long shot, but anyone of these players might end up as a great actress, politician or public figure and your sleeping pictures could someday make you a nice fee! :) Also you might catch some rich company using one of your images in their advertising or as one guy discovered on, I believe, a bottle of Nestea foods: money in the bank! As your work gets even better, the chances of being ripped off are increased. So at least stake your claim by putting your stamp inside every picture file online. That way, people can't so easily claim that yours are in the public domain!

Nill,

Do you bother to add your © info or not?

Asher

Jeff Mims

Thanks Asher...
I'm flattered. I'm not sure I agree totally, but I'm flattered.
I'm still learning, as evidenced by my struggles with post processing.

Jeff Mims

Hi Jeff,
I looked at the files to see the EXIF information. It's not always there or incomplete! How come? What are you doing to simple jpgs such that you lose this data? In the first picture it says 300mm lens and f2.8 but no shutter speed! With the last image, no such info at all; zero!
Asher

The photos posted here are processed in Aperture 2, and posted on pbase.
I did nothing, that I know of, to strip metadata. In fact, when I post in other forums with direct file upload from Aperture, all metadata is there. Even when on pbase.
Good point about copyrights, and I understand how to do it more (or it's easier to understand) in LR2 for me. Also Zenfolio allows watermarking, so I may have to start linking from there.
I cannot explain what happened to the data after it goes to pbase.

Jeff Mims

Note that you can tweak the jpg settings of your camera to get more of the look that you want. You might also try shooting RAW + jpg for a while till you decide which way to go.

Nill

Nill,
RAW is the way I want to go, but I'm not confident in my processing, at least in short periods of time. I'm moving toward LR2, which seems to be easier (for RAW) to me, and once I get the workflow down, I'll probably stay there.
I'm not knocking other software, just stating what works for me.
I try to get home, process a few in time for the local paper. Tonight there is a HS FB game, and I will probably shoot jpg tonight.
I think my camera settings are fine, I'm just messing it up in post.

doug anderson

Wonderful balletic shots. This game moves so fast you have to slow it down to see how lyrical and graceful it is. What concentration on the faces. Makes me want to go out and shoot some big aperture high shutter speed stuff.

D

Jeff Mims

What are you doing to them in post?

Nill

Destroying them, evidently.

I'm jumping between Aperture (mainly) and LR (which I'm starting to like better..but haven't learned it yet.
Then I tried using Noise Ninja and overdoing it.
Frankly, it's hard for jpg than RAW for me, and I'm FAR from an expert in RAW.